Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, so weaning...

Default Re: Ok, so weaning...

heheh thanks

well I asked DH last night, at what point he really thought weaning needed to happen, and he said well shortly after the first birthday, I was actually wrong about the whole first birthday thing lol (guess I need to give hubby some credit :P ) anyhow, and we also talked a bit more about another baby, still no dice at the moment...
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Loving Mommy to DS Gavin: March 16, 2006 and DSS Cody: Feb 13, 1998
    Banners/Photos/HC

That's great, but I advise you make no promises to your husband but to try. Because he may feel betrayed if you are still nursing at two.

well yesterday the topic of another baby was discussed again and he's still leaning towards no, so I told him well don't be surprised if I am still nursing at two!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

well my husband would always say things like, "I am not having a 6 month old sleep with us." And then, "I am not having a 1 year old sleep with us."
    He stopped when he realized that Max turned 1 and he was still a baby and still needed to be with his mommy (and nursing) all night.
    I just never commented or argued with him. Just did what I knew Max needed. Now he is 2 and is till sleeping with us and nursing all night.

Give your husband the option of comforting the baby and putting him to sleep himself (without crying) and see what he chooses. My husband knows he would not want to be the one to do it so he is ok with the way things are.

Good luck!
    Lisa

thanks and yeah I think he's coming around, or at least realizing that he's not going to change my mind lol right now I am just bummed out though that he doesn't want another "at least for now" I hope it's just for now, don't get me wrong Gavin is my sweetheart, but I want to do this all again, at least once more
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

I recently received the LLL book "How Weaning Happens" as a gift and highly recommend it. I have almost read it all the way through and it has some great tips on gentle weaning, as well as reasons to wean naturally, later rather than sooner. But even if you choose to wean sooner, it is helpful and is not condescending in any way. I am loving it, and can see myself reading it more than once, over and over again.

Because of this book, I have totally changed my views of weaning, and my goals. Please, try to take a look at it before you make your decision, and you can have your dh read some selected parts too!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

thanks I'll check it out
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

WOW!!!! This has been so good for my heart! I thought I was alone in this issue...it's been a real point of contention for DH and I since DS turned one also! Seriously, the support was overwhelming from DH and family alike until pretty much the day after his 1st birthday and now all anyone wants to know is "why are you still nursing? When are you gonna get that kid off the boob?" Every time I nurse in front of DH he simply says "no comment" which is like a MILLION comments that I don't need!!!
    We have been working on some gradual weaning; we don't nurse when we're out (he'll ask, but if I tell him no, he's ok with that) and really not much during the day. Night nursing has been impossible to kick because a. I don't want to be completely done
    b. DS doesn't want to be completely done
    c. DH doesn't get up with him in the middle of the night.
    Like a pp said, what am I supposed to do, tease him by holding him a little and dumping him back in bed? He's like "excuse me, where's my milks MAMA!!!!"
    Anyway, please excuse my vent...I didn't mean to it just came bursting out!!! It's good to know I'm not alone.
    Thanks for listening

lol no need to apologize Mama yeah I am dreading having to ever tell Gavin no too, hubby is still hoping it won't go too long, but all I can tell him is, I don't know!
    Melanie
    Proud Army Wife to James
    Banners/Photos/HC

No one told me that the hardest time to wean was actually between years one and two ...not that that would've changed my desire to nurse for a year, but that's what I have been reading. I guess we are in it until 2 then , because like the pps dh doesn't get up in the middle of the night, and neither do the rest of my family members and friends. I had a really hard time with one of my letdowns last night (I was ticked that I was up nursing again for the umpteenth time) and she nursed and nursed and nursed until that letdown, without blinking. As soon as the letdown, she settled in, nursed and went back to sleep. Will she ever not nurse to sleep? I don't know, but I'm not ready to try right now.

I hope you ladies can find some way to continue nursing, or gently wean, if that's what you desire.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes