Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Crying While Nursing

Default Baby Crying While Nursing

Hi I am new to LLL but I am getting a little desperate for help. My sweet daughter is 10 weeks old today and was diagnosed with reflux at 5 weeks. She has been on prevacid which has definitely helped her not cry when she spits up. But she cries often when nursing. The only time she does not cry is at her 10 PM dreamfeed and then the one time she wakes up in the middle of the night. She will nurse for around 10 minutes and then pull off and start crying. I will soothe her, burp her and she spends a ton of time smiling and giggling at me. But when I try to start nursing her again, she starts screaming. She will even be lying down and totally fine and then when I put my breast to her mouth, she starts crying instantly. She sounds sometimes like she is choking (reflux) and that causes her to cry but I can't get her to go back to nurse unless I walk around the house with her. She used to fall asleep when nursing so peacefully. Those days are long gone.

It's so strange to me because this started around 5 weeks but was never too terrible. And she nursed anywhere from 25-30 every three hours. About a week ago she began this vicious cycle of crying a ton. She is definitely more alert and loves to smile and giggle at me when nursing but she won't nurse long at all. It's so hard with a breastfed baby to know if she is getting enough food. She is generally happy (minus all the typical reflux issues) but I just am super discouraged. I have even tried feeding her every 3 1/2 hours because I thought she might not be hungry, but the same things happen. I thought breastfeeding was supposed to get easier. It's getting worse. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Baby Crying While Nursing

Hi!

you can tell a breastfed baby is getting enough by weight gain. How is weight gain?

Do you think you have a fast let down or overproduction? Here is some info- http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ggrimacing.pdf

About how many times in 24 hours does baby nurse? Does baby typically take one side or both?

What nursing positions have you tried?

Was baby ever assessed for tongue tie?

Does baby have a general time of day baby is more upset?

Nursing less often - putting more time between sessions- almost always makes breastfeeding issues worse. Is your baby cueing to nurse more often or less often than every 3.5 hours?

Thanks for your reply! I haven't had her weighed in 2 1/2 weeks (since her two month checkup) but her weight was good then. I am going in today to get her weighed hopefully. I know that I have fast let-down in the morning for sure. She gets overwhelmed but I don't think that it happens at other times during the day. I nurse her on this schedule: 7, 10, 1, 4, 7, 10 and then once in the middle of the night when she wakes up. The only feeding she actually roots around for milk on and acts super hungry is the 7 PM feeding. Other than that, she seems content. I used to nurse her on both sides for around 25-35 minutes total. She fussed a little if she needed to be burped but about 1-2 weeks ago it got really bad. Only nursing for 10 minutes and refusing to nurse anymore.

I have tried every nursing position in the books. I called the hospital yesterday to talk to the lactation department and they recommended having her sitting facing me on my lap and nursing her completely upright. It went okay yesterday doing that, but not great. She hated it at the 10 PM feeding which she usually never fusses at. She wanted to lie down more and she was fine when I changed her position to cradle.

Haven't had tongue-tie assessed. But she has had several check-ups and the doctor has mentioned anything. I will get it looked at though.

She cries at all feedings except 10 PM and the middle of the night.

I have tried feeding her with less time in between feedings and she is not hungry and won't nurse.

I don't want to give up. I have always wanted to nurse but this is torture. She cries, I cry, it's been miserable.
    ''

Do you mean you nurse your baby exactly at those times every day, or is that an example? If you are nursing on a schedule, is that because otherwise baby will not nurse often enough to gain normally?

Nursing 7 times in 24 hours is on the very low end for nursing frequency, and breastfeeding usually goes better if baby is offered the breast whenever baby cues (as well as whenever mom feels like it.) In other words, schedules mess up breastfeeding most of the time, however, sometimes a baby does need to have the breast offered more than baby cues because baby is not nursing often enough on their own.

The only feeding she actually roots around for milk on and acts super hungry is the 7 PM feeding.
    So at the other times, Is baby awake and happy prior to feeding, but cries during? Or is baby asleep but you wake baby to nurse? Etc. What I am wondering is how do you know baby wants to nurse at all? What cues are typical? Cues do not mean baby acts super hungry...babies nurse for many reasons, and if baby is super hungry by the time baby nurses that can cause issues. Also does baby take a pacifier and when and for how long?

10 minutes nursing session duration can be plenty long enough for a 2 month old. The session length does not concern me, that sounds normal. But the low frequency and regularity of nursing every 3 hours on the dot seems out of the ordinary.

I called the hospital yesterday to talk to the lactation department and they recommended having her sitting facing me on my lap and nursing her completely upright. It went okay yesterday doing that, but not great.
    Interesting! Do they suspect the issue is reflux? I am wondering why they think baby should be straight up and down- this is something that can help if reflux is the problem. I am also curious if they asked about nursing frequency and what they said about it.

She wanted to lie down more and she was fine when I changed her position to cradle.
    Yes it is typical for baby to like one position at some feedings and others at others, and for this to change a lot.

Have you tried laid back position to help baby with the flow? It can be done many, many ways, all it means is mom is leaning back and comfortable and supported (rather than sitting straight up and down or leaning over baby) and baby can be in any position at all. but one way would be to do something similar to the above but for you to lean back a bit.