Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: to pump or not to pump if baby not taking bottles

Default to pump or not to pump if baby not taking bottles

I'm a working mom to a 5 month old daughter who refuses to take the bottle while I'm at work. A month ago, I started back at work on a part time schedule and was able to breastfeed my baby around 7:45am before I left work and be home by 12:30pm to feed her again. I transitioned to full time work last week and still can go home to feed her for lunch (12:30pm) most days and again when I get home (5:30pm ish). I'm able to pump at work at 10am and 3pm. The problem is that she will not drink more than 1/2-1oz during the times that I'm not home. I've tried multiple bottles and nipples as well as different sippy cups and she just won't have it. My firstborn initially refused the bottle but then by her age was drinking 8 oz from the bottle throughout the time I was gone.

She's definitely hungry when I'm gone. She latches on immediately when I get home and cries b/c there's not more milk to drink (since I've pumped about 2 hours before seeing her). My question is, do I continue to pump at work or should I just stop pumping so that my breasts are full and she can have a lot of milk to drink when I can feed her at lunch and at dinner? A lot of my pumped milk is just going to waste b/c she refuses to drink the bottle. plus, she seems hungry since my pumped breasts aren't as full as they would be if I skipped pumping.

I do have a lactase issue but she won't take freshly pumped milk in a bottle either, so I can't say that the milk taste is the issue.

I'm just concerned that stopping pumping will decrease my milk supply and then I'm really out of luck. Any help would be much appreciated!

Default Re: to pump or not to pump if baby not taking bottles

Can't you still pump, but maybe a little earlier or not so long? (Less milk extraction at the time?)

Also, it is not unusual for a baby to cry when they are first back together with mom or first try to nurse. It's normal. Separations from mom are stressful and some babies will express this by crying when they first see mom, are first picked up by mom, or mom goes to nurse. I saw this a lot when I took care of babies when their moms worked. Older kids do this too...even some adults will cry when they are first back together with a loved one they have not seen for a while. Just like everyone else, babies cry to communicate many things, and one of those things is "I am so glad to see you!"

Breastmilk can be frozen for several months. Your milk need not go to waste, it can be mixed with solids once those are introduced. At that point, baby may do better with solids than with a bottle while you are at work, you never know.

Do you mean baby eats 1/2-1oz total all day, or is that what baby takes in each time?

Have you tried scalding your milk right after it is pumped before storing?

Does caregiver do paced bottle feeding? This allows baby to control the flow and may be more comfortable for baby. Or, have they tried feeding baby with an open cup instead of sippy or bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    Can't you still pump, but maybe a little earlier or not so long? (Less milk extraction at the time?)

I don't have that much flexibility in my schedule so that I can pump earlier, but I can always choose to pump less.

Also, it is not unusual for a baby to cry when they are first back together with mom or first try to nurse. It's normal. Separations from mom are stressful and some babies will express this by crying when they first see mom, are first picked up by mom, or mom goes to nurse. I saw this a lot when I took care of babies when their moms worked. Older kids do this too...even some adults will cry when they are first back together with a loved one they have not seen for a while. Just like everyone else, babies cry to communicate many things, and one of those things is "I am so glad to see you!"

She doesn't cry when she first sees me-- she's very happy. It's when I nurse and the breast gets empty that she cries/whimpers b/c she wants more.

Breastmilk can be frozen for several months. Your milk need not go to waste, it can be mixed with solids once those are introduced. At that point, baby may do better with solids than with a bottle while you are at work, you never know.

Do you mean baby eats 1/2-1oz total all day, or is that what baby takes in each time?
    It varies on the day. There are days she's simply refused to drink from the bottle. Most days, she'll take in 1/2-1oz spread out over 2-4 hours.

Have you tried scalding your milk right after it is pumped before storing?
    Unfortunately, I'm not able to do this at work.

Does caregiver do paced bottle feeding? This allows baby to control the flow and may be more comfortable for baby. Or, have they tried feeding baby with an open cup instead of sippy or bottle?
    They haven't tried an open cup. What's paced bottle feeding?

It's when I nurse and the breast gets empty that she cries/whimpers b/c she wants more.
    This idea (baby fusses at breast because there is not enough milk) is a common assumption, but in my experience rarely the case, unless mom has low milk production or a delayed let-down. Babies fuss at the breast for many reasons. Have you tried breast compressions when this happens? http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-BC

Paced bottle feeding is how breastfed babies should be fed bottles, and in fact is probably the best way to feed any baby a bottle, as it allows a baby to control the feeding. If milk is coming to fast or baby is laying on back when fed, as is typical with gravity feeding, baby has a very hard time controlling intake and this is upsetting to baby in some cases. article: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

Cup feeding video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R95FUa7_s84

Most of the time a mother can breastfeed her baby easily but some issues can be encountered suggesting the use of either the breast milk alternative or the use of a breast pump.
    http://www.healthgenie.in/baby-care/...st-feeding-aid