Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting enough hindemilk

Default getting enough hindemilk

Hi,

I am a fist time mom and my baby boy is 6 weeks old. He is going through his growth spurt right now, but we are doing great. He is just a little fussy.

The issue that I have had was that he was incredibly gassy and had horrible stomache pains starting from about 3 weeks. At almost five weeks, after my pediatrician could offer no help, I contacted a woman from a breastfeeding store. I explained the situation and answered all her questions and she told me that it sounded like I have an oversupply of milk and the baby is getting nearly all foremilk and the protein turns to carbon dioxide in his intestines and creates painful gas. Her suggestion was to nurse on one side for 2 or three feedings. (he goes between 1.5 to 2.5 hours between) After a week, he is like a different baby. It has dramatically reduced the problem!

Now my concern is that one evening out of the week, I am at school for almost 4 hours and he is given bottles of my milk that I have pumped. (He usually does fine taking a bottle, but he LOVES to nurse) Anyway, I am unsure of the amount of hindemilk he gets from what I have pumped. For example, I have a 2 oz bag of milk in the fridge right now. only less than half an oz is the thick creamy (what I assume is the hindemilk). The rest is the thin, watery looking milk. He obviously eats more than 2 oz now, but is this an ok ratio of fore and hinde in order to keep his gas and upset stomache down?

Sorry my post is so long, I just wanted to create understanding of why I am concerned about this.

Any help is appreciated,

Larissa

Default Re: getting enough hindemilk

The fat separates from the milk because breastmilk is not homogenized like commercial cow's milk.

The amounts of fat you noticed sounds fine. You should know that even if this expressed milk was lower in fat than the milk he gets from nursing, he should be fine. It's the overall amount of hindmilk that your baby recieves that makes the difference...not what he would recieve from one particular feeding (bottle or breast). If you're really concerned, though, you could try pumping after (or soon after) a feeding and add that to your pumped milk. The emptier the breast=higher fat content of milk.
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; March 2nd, 2006 at 04:18 PM.