Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Protein powder and Breastfeeding

Default Re: Protein powder and Breastfeeding

Fes, thanks for your informed reply! That is interesting about thyroid issues which can crop up in relation to pregnancy.
    Some of the weight gain could be due to water retention, right?
    Fes, my DD2 is just over 4m now and I am still at the same weight as I was when I quickly shed 10kg in the first month, but there's more to go... I feel your pain.

Saraelizabeth, if your supply drops quickly, can you try increasing it by switch feeding and taking a nursing vacation (do nothing but rest and nurse) to pump it up?
    Katharine in Belgium
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    DD2 Feb 2015 - natural birth VBAC with DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

bxlgirl- Anytime! Yes, the thyroid is interesting. I had high antibodies but normal thyroid levels prepregnancy, and as soon as I became pregnant, my thyroid levels shot up 70x! Then postpartum it shot down 70x to almost 0.0, now back up. I have another appt today to have my levels rechecked as they can rebound slowly postpartum. I am hoping that these ups and downs are the reason for my lack of weight loss, but my hope for a quick fix is likely futile! Wouldn't it be great if the weight just fell off, like it does for some other women?? But I am glad to know I am not alone!

The hormone that stimulates milk production, prolactin, can also cause weight retention, weight gain and even redistribution of weight (especially in the stomach area). Some people don't lose weight while bfing, or do not begin to lose until 4-6 months pp when prolactin naturally drops to a lower baseline.

Yes, reena, what you say appears to be true from what I've read. Apparently some women keep weight on in case of famine -- so my children would survive if we were on The Walking Dead, but in the meantime I have to stay in my bigger clothes while my smaller ones sit in the closet! I just wish more people would talk about this. I do get tired hearing "breastfeeding is the best way to lose weight" being stated as a fact with no exceptions. It is a great way to encourage people to breastfeed, but it is not always a fact (although I do think it has helped me lose some weight in the first weeks). For those of us who don't lose weight, it appears to those who hear that statement like we're sitting around eating chips and cookies. In fact, I exercise as much as I can (running, weights, and HIIT 3-5 times a week) and eat well, but the scale moves extremely slowly (lost about 2 pounds last month and scale stuck this month). My friend who does not exercise or eat well said she was the lowest she'd weighed since high school after breastfeeding -- she said it was the only time she'd ever lost weight in her adult life.

I just don't want to see anyone starving themselves while nursing when their bodies may be making it nearly impossible to lose weight.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

filmmommy- This is just what I have been thinking recently! It is such a myth that the weight just melts away for all breastfeeding women, but it is great that it encourages breastfeeding. Of the moms I know, only one of them experienced the melting of the baby weight and she didn't breastfeed with any of her 4 babies nor did she diet! The others who lost weight definitely tried to do it by calorie restriction and/or exercise, and their milk supply definitely took a hit. I have to agree that it has not helped me lose weight but it has helped me shrink in girth- my tummy is flatter, which is somewhat encouraging. I am glad to hear I am not the only one who is experiencing this! WE have all of the rest of our lives to be skinny, let's just focus on our babies for now!

Another thought- imagine if we were not breastfeeding mothers, how much excess baby weight would we be carrying then? Maybe that is a better way to look at it.

[QUOTET]he others who lost weight definitely tried to do it by calorie restriction and/or exercise, and their milk supply definitely took a hit. [/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention this in my post, that with my first child I tried to do a little more dieting and hard exercise (I had more time!) and I off-and-on struggled with supply. I kept joking to my husband that my body would take the milk away before any of the fat! So this time around I have been a little more lenient and am just now cutting back calories a little more, since my son is over 1.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

filmmommy- good call. Best not to risk supply. I'll take the extra weight over supply issues. Plus, I can just keep using the excuse to eat anything and everything!