Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sooo discouraged :(

Default Re: Sooo discouraged :(

You're only 5 weeks PP, right? I had PP bleeding for almost 10 weeks. It often looked like period blood also, so I wouldn't freak out about that just yet. That would be very early for it to return.

I wouldn't compare your babies either. I've seen the same mother produce giant and diminutive children, all babies are different.

I'll be 5 weeks pp on Monday. Would pp bleeding come back? I haven't bled for over a week.
    Last edited by @llli*elandlanes.mommy; June 19th, 2015 at 05:11 PM.

post partum lochia can stop and start.

Ok..
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to dd, Elliotte 5/17/06, ds1, Lane 3/7/08, ds2, Levi 6/16/10, and ds3, Lachlan 5/18/15

Absolutely like MaddieB said. I would sometimes go 7+ days and all of a sudden see bleeding again.

The spotting stopped--it was pretty much a one time thing,,

Should I be concerned though that I've only felt engorgement one time? And that was when lo was 5 or 6 days old. That's the only time... My breast feels empty even after he sleeps 3-4 hours at night.. It never, ever feels full.. This is just really concerning because I can only feed from side. There is no switching...

You truly cannot accurately tell milk production from how the breasts feel. Some fullness between feedings in the first couple of months or so is normal, but getting engorged indicates some issue, and is not a benign, normal or expected aspect of nursing. If I recall correctly, baby was not nursing very frequently in the early weeks. This would cause engorgement.

Can you update on what is happening now? Is baby exclusively breastfed at this point? If supplemented, how much? Also, why are you only feeding from one side- does baby only want one side at a time if you offer? Encouraging baby to take both sides each feeding (or at least at as many feedings as baby will) is a good technique for increasing milk production and get more milk into baby at the same time.

Baby has actually always nursed frequently-at least 12-14 times a day---at least.

I can only nurse on one side because i had a lumpectomy at the age of 14 and had so much nerve damage that no amount of nursing or pumping can trigger a let down.

I know that I have the ability to produce and hold a lot of milk with my working breast. With my first I exclusively pumped and would pump 45-50 per day, sometimes 9 oz in one setting just from one breast.

I have only supplemented three different times, frozen bm that I was able to pump before, and those three times all together totaled 5.5 oz. (used a lactaid for supplementing)

Baby is nursing normally for one of my babies, still the 12-14 times a day.
    I guess engorged was the wrong word. I don't ever feel fuller after a couple hours go by... Baby will be 5 weeks old and this has been the normal feeling for me now for almost 3 weeks.. He's gaining.. From my scale it says he's gained 18 oz in 18 days, but he just looks so small. And he doesn't have milk dribbles out the sides of his mouth like my others did.. And I was always able to pump 4-8oz per day before with my others. I was only able to pump 1/2 an ounce after a feeding today.
    I'm taking fenugreek, blessed thistle and Dom.

Ok, I got you completely confused with someone else! You had already explained you really nurse one sided- as in always the same side. I got confused. I am so sorry.

So, from what you explain of your history, you not only have a history of very high milk production but also a large breast storage capacity. Not all moms could pump 9 ounces from one side in one pump session, even if they had large productions.

So, if you have a large breast storage capacity, that might explain why you would not feel full. Because you are actually not "full", because you do not need to be "full" in order to provide enough milk. Also, perhaps this baby is more efficient at the breast?

Milk production will usually vary child to child. Typically it goes up with each subsequent child, but it is not abnormal for it to go down instead. In a case like yours where mom is making enough for twins with first baby, you would kind of what it to go down, right? From a biological standpoint, your body 'wants' to make enough milk, not more than enough. This is because milk production takes energy and calories and the mother who over-produces is, in a sense, wasting those additional energy and calories. This is not good from a survival standpoint (remember biologically we are just like "early" humans...hunter gatherers who survived on what they could find or catch more of less day to day. So biologically, wasted calories is a big deal.

I am not saying there is nothing wrong. There is no way I could know that one way or another. That is something you would need in-person assistance to ascertain. But I do think there are logical explanations for what you feel that do not necessarily mean low milk production.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 20th, 2015 at 03:33 PM.

What you said about my body not "having" to make that much makes sense. He is having plenty of diaper output--it's 6:30 here and he's had 6 soaking wet and 5 dirty diapers. And he is growing--I'm just so not used to it being so slowly---maybe I over fed my last two because of oversupply? I remember the pediatrician saying if my boys were on formula then she'd be concerned that they were getting too big too quick, but since they were breastfed she wasn't concerned because it was a different kind of fat they were storing...
    18 oz in 18 days is ok, right?? My last put on 9lbsvin 8 weeks....