Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sooo discouraged :(

Default Re: Sooo discouraged :(

And oz a day is good. So you are seeing an improvement with the DOM?

Way too lazy for formula

Are you hydrating, drinking atleast eight glasses of water per day?

Ive had the same problems, and i had to tweak my diet and not cut calories, start eating whole foods and a ton of them. and drinking 100 ounces of water every day which is really really hard for me to stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sarahelizabeth View Post
    Ive had the same problems, and i had to tweak my diet and not cut calories, start eating whole foods and a ton of them. and drinking 100 ounces of water every day which is really really hard for me to stomach.
    Usually nursing mothers don't need to drink more than they usually do. It's recommended to drink to thirst. Some studies say that drinking too much can slightly lower supply. On top of that, you could throw off your electrolytes which isn't good. Eating healthy is always a good choice though!

maybe I over fed my last two because of oversupply? I remember the pediatrician saying if my boys were on formula then she'd be concerned that they were getting too big too quick, but since they were breastfed she wasn't concerned because it was a different kind of fat they were storing
    Ok, now you are worried you over fed your older two? Mom, you need to cut yourself some slack!

Doctor was right to reassure you about weight gain when baby is breastfed, but wrong about the why. It is not about the kind of fat stored- at least, that would not be the main thing. It is that a bottle fed baby may well be getting overfed but a breastfed baby is not, because when baby nurses at the breast, they can regulate intake and they can not do that with bottles (unless bottles are given very, very carefully.) Also, since a breastfed baby who continues to be breastfed continues to regulate intake, once milk production slows down, baby takes less and less milk and gain rate slows. Formula fed babies almost always increase intake as they grow, so the overfeeding continues for the duration and in fact becomes more of an issue, not less.

I imagine your older babies maybe gained rapidly at first, and then the gain rate reduced as milk production calmed down? Eventually, unless a child is essentially force fed (as they are with bottles and even solids in many cases) or fed too much high calorie non-nutritious crap, or sit around all day, they will grow to be the size they are genetically meant to be. And that may be different than their siblings.

18 oz in 18 days is ok, right??
    YES!!! more than ok. Textbook gain.

My babies did gain really rapidly at first with my last tripling his birth weight at 4 months. Then he pretty much stayed that weight until he was a year old.

Thank you so much for the encouragement-it's been a few rough weeks but I feel like I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel