Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sooo discouraged :(

Default Sooo discouraged :(

Here's the background- http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...-old-need-help!

Baby is now a day short of four weeks and weighs 7.15 1/2.
    At 23 days old I got the beginning stages of mastitis. Unfortunately I get it 6-7 times before my babies turn a year old. I was expecting it and my ob had already written me a prescription for keflex. So I started taking it because if I didn't t would get worse.
    I think I got it because the previous day he had gone about 2 1/2 hours with out eating during the day. Well, I started feeling better the next day and then Friday we went grocery shopping and baby went againfor2 1/2 hours without eating. I started getting symptoms again that night. Yesterday I had a fever of 102 but it's gone now, so are the flu like symptoms and most of the breast soreness.
    That being said, my supply has taken a big hit. I've continued the fenugreek and blessed thistle as usual. I have Dom but haven't taken any of it yet. But I had to give baby 2 oz of milk from the freezer this morning because he was so hungry and frustrated. I used a lact-aid to give it to him. Afterward I pumped for about 10 minutes and barely got enough to cover the bottom of the pump bottle..
    I just wish my body would work like it's supposed to.. I have barely left the house in four weeks.. I've barely left the couch.. I nurse constantly and by that, I meannlike15-20 times a day.. I Wish both my breasts worked because at least I'd have a backup side... I just want to be able to have a good supply and not have to worry about infections and my supply dipping because of it.
    I know there's not much advice here, and hopefully my supply will pick back up in a day or two.. I'm just sooo discouraged...
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to dd, Elliotte 5/17/06, ds1, Lane 3/7/08, ds2, Levi 6/16/10, and ds3, Lachlan 5/18/15

Default Re: Sooo discouraged :(

Your production definitely should pick back up quickly with frequent nursing. I know mastitis makes one feel like they were hit by a truck, but remember that even when you feel better you should keep resting as much as possible for several days to avoid relapse, and take ALL the abs....

Wow that is hectic that you have mastitis so much- Do you also have plugs? Has anyone ever tried to help you figure out why you have mastitis so often?

Have you seen a lactation consultant to see if there are issues with how well baby nurses?

I started getting it with my first, who I exclusively pumped for(I had no idea what I was doing and had no help and ended up pumping because it was then when I found out I could only nurse from one side. I ended up getting it nine times and had to stop pumping at 11. I was pumping 45-50 oz per day.
    I think I get it because I battle over supply..

This is baby number 4. His latch is good-I have to pull down his lower lip sometimes, but other than that his latch seems fine..

I have my six week check next week. I've tried everything and I'm going to see if my dr will let me try low dose antibiotic therapy...
    Last edited by @llli*elandlanes.mommy; June 14th, 2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Hit post too soon

I do also get plugs, even though I take lecithin..

Forgive me if this is a rude question but why do you take supply enhancers if you've had a history of over supply? I know right now you're low because of the illness but after your supply straightens out maybe take a break from the fenugreek to see what happens? I'm a noobie mom so ignore me if I'm out of place.

I usually start out with a great supply-I did with the last three--this time was different and I started out with a lower supply. I have taken fenugreek in the past because every time I had mastitis my supply would drastically drop. So, I had Been taking it already because of the low supply in the beginning and just continued when this started.

Had to use the lact aid again hoping my supply picks up tomorrow

I feel like it's taking soooo long for my supply to get back. I want to be able to nurse and pump some to save for times like this like I did with my others, but it still isn't back to where it should be!
    I just want my body to work

It sounds like you are doing everything right. You think it was brought on this time just by the baby going 2.5 hours with out eating? There are no under wire bras in sight? I can only imagine how overwhelming it is to be nursing like that with three other children to take care of. I feel like even if everything was perfect in terms of supply? You would still be exhausted and overwhelmed. So rather than focus on your body and how it's not working the way it's supposed to? I would focus on rest, relaxation and self care. Have you take the baby to nurse in the shower or bath? Are you napping when the baby sleeps rather than frantically trying to clean and do laundry? Are you having your partner bring home take out? It sounds like there is A LOT going on. I am not suggesting you stop being rigorous in trying to get your supply back up. But I DO think that working to be calm and well rested in the minutes you aren't feeding will be important right now. And if you aren't where you want to be by the weekend? A nurse in while your partner is home and can support you by allowing you and the baby to stay skin to skin in bed for most of the weekend. Good luck!

Way too lazy for formula

Actually , I've had a really relaxed time. I'm mostly sitting in the couch. My other kids are old enough to get drinks/snacks. I usually fix an easy lunch and breakfast-toaster waffles, grilled cheese, easy things.. Dh brings us food anytime we need as his job is flexible and close.. I feel guilty, but I haven't done much laundry/cleaning at all... But I also know these newborn months won't last forever...
    I just started taking Dom yesterday as I still haven't noticedvacpick up in my supply... Baby has gained 22.5 oz in 28 days, which is on the low end... My last baby weighed twelve pounds at 5 weeks (was born at 7.2). This lo finally hit 8lbs 1.5oz yesterday. He'll be 5 weeks Monday. I just wish I my supply would come back

I'm sitting here crying, I just don't know what to do.. My last two nursed until they were 4 and I want that for this little one but I just feel so lost. I got up to use the bathroom and I'm 99%sure my period started. I haven't had any bleeding for over a week and now I have what looks just like period blood. My periods never started until 14-17 months pp.
    What am I doing wrong??? I wish someone could help me. I started Dom yesterday, still taking fenugreek and blessed thistle, drinking a ton..
    Just sitting here crying and a horrible migraine..