Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gassy baby... gripe water or tummy drops?

Default Gassy baby... gripe water or tummy drops?

My LO is 5.5 weeks now, EBF and has been dealing with gas issues for a couple weeks. The last 2 days things have definitely gotten worse. I thought it was an OP issue and on Monday this week started doing the laid back BF positions to help her tolerate the flow better. It seemed like things may have gotten better for a couple days, but then started getting worse again and yesterday and today has been really bad. On a side note, my OP seems to be cooling down a bit. My breasts aren't getting as engorged. Still leak/spray in between feedings, but are doing so less. So, I would think that if it was an issue due to OP, then she'd be getting better as well.

Could it be something in my diet? I've heard from friends that gripe water helps and have also heard about gas drops. I'd use the natural/homeopathic alternatives if going that route. Are there any drawbacks/negatives to using gripe water or tummy drops? TIA!!!

Default Re: Gassy baby... gripe water or tummy drops?

Can you explain in more detail what is happening? Gas is pretty normal.

Probiotics have been shown to be more effective than gas drops for really uncomfortable, gassy babies. I am pretty sure nothing has been shown about the effectiveness of gripe water, which in any case is not any one thing, there are many brands/mixtures.

To me the drawbacks of using gripe water, gas drops, or even probiotics, is that am exclusively breastfed baby is already getting the perfect thing for normal gut health, and that is, breastmilk itself. I am not a big believer in introducing anything else into an infant system unless there is a real and clear problem and solution.

Does the gas/fussiness seem to strike at any particular time of day, perhaps later in the afternoon/evening?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    Can you explain in more detail what is happening? Gas is pretty normal.
    She gets really fussy, will turn bright red in the face, push, jerk her legs by bending and straightening and cry. Sometimes I hear her tummy rumbling when she does this or she will poop or fart.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Does the gas/fussiness seem to strike at any particular time of day, perhaps later in the afternoon/evening?
    Yesterday was the worst - she did it during all her waking hours. The day before was bad too. Before that she would have these episodes sparatically throughout the day. No pattern that I could tell. When it first started, it seemed worse in the afternoons. Then it changed to being worse in the mornings.

Also, as a side note, I've been really gassy since breastfeeding which is weird since nothing in my diet has changed....

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zozja View Post
    She gets really fussy, will turn bright red in the face, push, jerk her legs by bending and straightening and cry. Sometimes I hear her tummy rumbling when she does this or she will poop or fart.
    This is very common behavior. Just think about it this way- until 5.5 weeks ago your baby never had to poop or pass gas and now she has to do it all the time. And pooping/passing gas is actually a learned skill- we learn in infancy how to coordinate all the muscles of our digestive systems and control our own sphincters... It's very upsetting for many babies.

Yesterday was the worst - she did it during all her waking hours. The day before was bad too. Before that she would have these episodes sparatically throughout the day. No pattern that I could tell. When it first started, it seemed worse in the afternoons. Then it changed to being worse in the mornings.
    Has she had this issue since birth, or has it become more intense with time? I'm thinking that the timing is a factor- colic and colicky crying tends to peak at around 6 weeks.

Also, as a side note, I've been really gassy since breastfeeding which is weird since nothing in my diet has changed....
    Almost surely unrelated. You're not taking fenugreek, are you? I know you said your diet hasn't changed, but many moms take fenugreek or drink fenugreek tea as a supplement, and don't count "supplements" as part of their diet...

Your gas may or may not be related to how baby was born...did you have a C-section or tearing or any issues with birth that might have caused later digestive issues? Or it may be that you are sitting or lying around a lot (as most moms do in the early weeks) and that is causing you to having or feeling more gas.

I agree with mommal, your gas and your baby's gas probably have nothing to do with each other.

I cannot tell you what to do, but I can tell you I had a very fussy first baby with explosive poops and lots of gas. I tried mylecon drops, gripe water etc. I even tried infant massage, but I made the mistake of laying him flat on his back and this made him really upset! I still remember his little "this hurts mom" frown...made me so sad. The only thing that worked was time.

Later I came to understand that I probably had overproduction and this caused some of the excess gassiness and fussiness. With my next two babies, I made sure to nurse really frequently, did not pump, and let my production go up and down as it normally would. All the babies got less fussy as milk production started calming down sometime after 4-6 weeks.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 14th, 2015 at 08:29 PM.

Thank you for all the feedback!!

This is very common behavior. Just think about it this way- until 5.5 weeks ago your baby never had to poop or pass gas and now she has to do it all the time. And pooping/passing gas is actually a learned skill- we learn in infancy how to coordinate all the muscles of our digestive systems and control our own sphincters... It's very upsetting for many babies.
    Does this typically get better then with time? It will wake her while she's sleeping, making it really hard for her to get good naps during the day.

Has she had this issue since birth, or has it become more intense with time? I'm thinking that the timing is a factor- colic and colicky crying tends to peak at around 6 weeks.
    Started around 3 weeks and has gotten worse since that time. The last couple days actually seem to be getting better. I took dairy out on Sunday and Sunday was a better day, but I can't imagine that she would already be doing better that fast if it was dairy. Monday there were no issues, then they returned yesterday and today, but have not been as bad. [/QUOTE]

Almost surely unrelated. You're not taking fenugreek, are you? I know you said your diet hasn't changed, but many moms take fenugreek or drink fenugreek tea as a supplement, and don't count "supplements" as part of their diet...
    No on the fenugreek

Your gas may or may not be related to how baby was born...did you have a C-section or tearing or any issues with birth that might have caused later digestive issues? Or it may be that you are sitting or lying around a lot (as most moms do in the early weeks) and that is causing you to having or feeling more gas.
    I had a 1st degree tear. Not bad. But I have been way less active since having her :/

Later I came to understand that I probably had overproduction and this caused some of the excess gassiness and fussiness. With my next two babies, I made sure to nurse really frequently, did not pump, and let my production go up and down as it normally would. All the babies got less fussy as milk production started calming down sometime after 4-6 weeks.
    Thanks for all your help!! This is reassuring. I'm hoping things start to improve in the next couple weeks...

Does this typically get better then with time? It will wake her while she's sleeping, making it really hard for her to get good naps during the day.
    Yes, discomfort/distress related to bowel movements/farting does get better with time. You don't meet to many adults, or even young children, who freak out every time they need to poop, right? Just think of this as a lifelong skill your baby is mastering. It's not easy to get the hang of it, but once you do... It's like a bicycle. You never forget how to do it!

Started around 3 weeks and has gotten worse since that time. The last couple days actually seem to be getting better. I took dairy out on Sunday and Sunday was a better day, but I can't imagine that she would already be doing better that fast if it was dairy. Monday there were no issues, then they returned yesterday and today, but have not been as bad.
    That really sounds like colic to me. It tends to start around 3 weeks, intensify and reach its maximum awfulness at around 6-8 weeks, and then taper off by 12 weeks.

No on the fenugreek
    Alrighty then, it's not the fenugreek!