Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fussy feeder

Default Fussy feeder

My almost three month baby has outgrown most of his fussy behavior, but feeding is becoming a pain in the nip. When he breastfeeds he pulls off the breast and latches right back on, appears frantic, kicks and punches and cries. This usually happens at the end of the feeding. I will switch him to the other breast and soon after he starts doing the same thing.When I am at work and I pump breast milk I usually only get three ounces at a time so oversupply is not an issue.I believe that he is getting frustrated when milk stops coming. I would think it is due to a growth spurt but it's been going on for more than a week. Usually he goes to sleep after I switched breasts about 6 times. If anybody knows what this can be and, especially, how to make it better, I would be very grateful.
    Thank you!

Default Re: Fussy feeder

Around 3 or 4 months is a notorious time for odd or fussy behavior at the breast. But of you think the issue is baby is frustrated with the milk flow, I wonder how bottles are being given. To try to prevent bottles causing breastfeeding issues, it is important they are given in small amounts at a time, with caregiver being careful to follow cues and paced feeding techniques and positioning.

with MaddieB. This would be a very good time to review the bottle handling with your LO's caregivers.

My husband bottle feeds him when I work, three days a week. We use a 2.5 oz bottle and a newborn nipple. He feeds him a bottle every two hours. He does paced feeding as we learned at the hospital.
    I'm feeding him now and he turns his head away while at the breast. Could he be bothered by let down?

Sure, plenty of babies learn to avoid getting blasted by rapid letdowns by turning away from the breast. You might want to try reclining more when you nurse, since that can help slow down your letdowns.