Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chewing on clothing

Default Chewing on clothing

Hi everyone, my daughter just turned 5 months old today. She's been growing well and eating better at night (she's definitely distracted now). She's been drooling for a long time but recently started chewing on bibs (daycare provider uses them to keep clothes dry since she drools so much) and her clothes. She was chewing on her hand but now it's her hand in her clothing that she's eating. She doesn't get a pacifier at home and doesn't seem interested in them or traditional teethers, so I'm wondering if this is her way of soothing her gums. My question is more if this will interfere with breastfeeding. She's already so distracted when eating during the day, I'm a bit worried this will add to the problem, and if so, what can I do? Thanks!

Default Re: Chewing on clothing

Babies that age will put EVERYTHING in their mouths. I personally would not worry. For distractibility, if you aren't already, try a very calm, perhaps dark, quiet, boring place.

When my dd was that age, I found it helpful to sort of trap one arm between our bodies and hold her other hand because otherwise she would be trying to nurse and chew on her hand/our clothes. It is that same move you use on newborns who keep getting in their own way, but a bit more social/play oriented.

Thanks ladies! I won't worry if it won't interfere. Yeah, I have to try quiet boring places or we don't get through a feeding unless she's really hungry or sleepy, which is probably why she eats so well at night. Interestingly, she now cluster feeds early morning hours as opposed to night now. I wonder if this is her way of dealing with mom being at work. She often grabs at my hands and clothes herself now, which is fine when we're home but she exposes me out in public now . . . a nursing/teething necklace has been helpful with that at least. I'm a bit bummed by the distractibility bc sometimes I can't even read on my phone bc she likes looking at my phone. I hope this, too, shall pass . . .