Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Already worried about returning to work- help!

Default Already worried about returning to work- help!

I have a 9 day old at home and due to financial reasons I will not be returning to my incredibly laid back and understanding 9-5 and instead will have to start looking for an evening job, probably something in the restaurant/bar region. Luckily this means my husband will be home with her while I'm at work and vice versa. But it leaves me with a lot of questions and concerns.

First and foremost, when should we start introducing bottles? She's breastfeeding OK but it still takes her awhile to latch, especially on one side and I know we're nowhere near ready to further complicate things. I'll have to start working again around the beginning of August. Is the middle of July enough time to get her used to bottles? Should we just play it by ear?

How accommodating should I realistically expect a restaurant to be in regards to pumping? Should I let them know before being hired that I'll need to pump? And if they're not willing to work with me, would pumping once during a 6-7 hour shift affect my supply if I'm nursing baby immediately before and after work?

Anything else I should know?

Default Re: Already worried about returning to work- help!

I work at a restaurant andost nights I'm only gone for 5 hours and I can manage not to pump but if I'm gone for 6 to 8 I'll pump once in the middle. I nurse before leaving and then again as soon as I walk in the door. I nurse very often while not at work and I personally still have a slight over supply!

In regards to telling them before you're hired I personally would. You can be a problem solver by saying something like "I'll need to pump around X time each day. I'll need a space to do this. Maybe an empty office or something like that? It'll take me 20 to 30 minutes and I can do it on my lunch break if that works better for everyone"

First and foremost, when should we start introducing bottles? She's breastfeeding OK but it still takes her awhile to latch, especially on one side and I know we're nowhere near ready to further complicate things. I'll have to start working again around the beginning of August. Is the middle of July enough time to get her used to bottles? Should we just play it by ear?
    I would suggest play it by ear. It has been studied and when a bottle is introduced seems to make little difference in rate of bottle acceptance vs. bottle refusal. And if baby refuses as bottle, using an open cup instead often works well.

If you want to introduce bottles beforehand for your own peace of mind, remember these bottles are 'just for practice' and consequently need not be either frequent or big. By using small amounts in practice bottles and doing them less often, you can teach baby to bottle feed without plowing through the milk you are expressing to have for the first day of work and as emergency stash. So that means, less pumping before your return to work and more time to relax with baby.

As far as back to work, I am not sure you are required to tell an employer anything about your private life at an interview. While I understand the benefit of getting everything out in the open prior to taking the job, I also would wonder if this disclosure might cost you some positions.
    How accommodating should I realistically expect a restaurant to be in regards to pumping?
    Pumping is not just something moms do to provide milk for their babies. A lactating mother MUST extract milk with enough frequency to avoid medical issues up to and including breast infections that can land them in the hospital if they are bad enough, and in order to be able to maintain milk production. So I would say, employers should be expected to be very accommodating. That does not mean they will be, unfortunately. I would suggest researching what laws there are in your area regarding pumping at work. If you are in the US, aside from state laws there is federal law on this, but not all employers are covered- you may want to apply to places that would be covered rather than those that are not.

Time for pumping is one thing I think a restaurant should not have much trouble with as long as they are appropriately staffed, as you could have another server cover for you if needed. But space for pumping may be more difficult. Some mothers who work in places that simply have no where they can pump pump in their cars.

How often you will need to pump at work will depend on the length of your shift, how often your baby nurses the rest of the day, and how often you need to pump for your own comfort as well as for milk production (each mom is a bit different.)

It is important dad knows how to bottle feed the breastfed baby to avoid overfeeding and breast refusal. I will link info below on that.

paced bottle feeding: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykdFuEOIdeE (Please ignore ignorant comments from some people who are missing the point entirely..)
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; June 13th, 2015 at 01:51 AM.

Thank you both, you've really helped put my mind at ease about this.

Before you give notice to the good 9-5 job, maybe it would make sense to go in and talk to your current employer about ways that your job could flex to accommodate your needs. For example, maybe you could do 3 days a week instead of 5, or reduced hours (say, 10-3 instead of 9-5). The reason I suggest this is that food service jobs are notorious for being bad at accomodating the needs of nursing moms- private space is often not available, and there's a lot of pressure to not take breaks when the customers are stacking up. Trying to get a pump break when diners are drumming their fingers on the tables and checking their watches...

I have to say I agree with Mommal. I had originally wanted to pump in the middle of even my short 4 hour shifts but due to that landing right around 6 or 7...it was often to busy to say hey i need to pump and my 10 minute break is barely enough time to relax and get a let down let alone get anything good out of it so I quit doing it unless I'm there for more than 5 hours and can take a 30 minute lunch. Then I'll wait until most of the guests are taken care of. On top of this I have to pump in my boss' office and that's awkward.

With mommal!

Totally understand where you're all coming from and trust me I'd love to be able to stay where I am. Unfortunately that's just not an option. Even if I stayed on a few days a week, I'd have to find childcare for those few days and that would take nearly all my paycheck. I'd basically be working to pay someone else to watch my baby. I need to find something second shift so she can be home with my husband when I go to work. Things are still up in the air though, so who knows what will be happening in a month.