Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Continously hungry 23 day old in the afternoon

Question Continously hungry 23 day old in the afternoon

My daughter and I didn't get an easy start with breastfeeding. She had latched easily after birth for a short feeding but four hours later was admitted to the NICU for breathing problems. She wasn't allowed to take anything by mouth for two days and was given a pacifer for pain control with sugar water during painful procedures. When she was allowed to the take in milk I was allowed to feed her only for 30 mins at a time so she wouldn't use up all her energy. Even then she refused to latch and I had start using a shild with the help of a LC. During the entire NICU stay of 4-5 days I was expressing/ pumping every three hours. Once home we struggled with latching and continued working with a LC.
    Now at this point she sleeps for about 6 hours and then wakes up and breastfeeds then goes back to sleep until about 9 am. She then feds from both breasts for about 30 mins total and then starts with an aggressive rooting followed by screams and cries. I can sometimes get her to latch without the shild and express the milk for her as she feds from both breast for 15 mins then she loses interest in the breast and cries. She then continues her rooting and hand sucking. I have had to start supplementing with pumped milk anywhere 2-3 oz. This continues throughout the day with in the afternoon and evening just being breastfeeding and supplementing every 1-2 hours. When I do get a chance to pump after her breastfeedings I'm getting usually about 2 oz. This routinue will continue until about 10-11pm until the following morning.
    She is having episodes of spitting up with usually only being small amounts. There has been a few episodes of alot of spit up but I contribute that to over eating associated with bottle feeding. I'm not worried about poor weight gain since she exceeded her birth weight at 2 wks and has since grown out of her nb clothing.
    I have spoke with my LC and she has suggested that I continue to breastfeed and try to keep her engaged with movement and laying on my side with her. Then she suggested that if she continues to go to pumping every three hours during the day and bottle feeding.
    Just wondering if anyone has any other tricks of trade before I have to resort to bottle feeding.

Default Re: Continously hungry 23 day old in the afternoon

My first thought would be to get rid of the shield as soon as you can. I had been told that they don't affect milk production/output, but I swear that my daughter's feedings went from 1 hour to 10-20 minutes when I finally only let her latch without the shields. Out they went, and her feedings were way more efficient. Nobody told me that, but it did make a big difference. I also have a mom in my playgroup that used a shield for months. Her baby was not growing well, very scrawny thing who was off the growth charts, and she finally got rid of the nipple shield at 5 months and her baby almost immediately starting putting on a ton of weight.

That's my personal experience. Just thinking that perhaps the shield can be a hindrance sometimes more than a help.

I would agree shields cause some issues with milk intake in some cases. But if your baby is only able to latch effectively with a sheild, by all means use it for now...

I am a little confused- is the problem that baby cannot nurse at all for most of the day, or that baby is fussy and wants to nurse a lot? The latter is entirely normal assuming baby is gaining normally, and if baby is capable of nursing effectively bottles are not needed and may cause many issues. If the issue is baby can't latch, or simply won't nurse for long periods, can't you see the IBCLC again, or a different one? One who will not suggest a perfectly healthy, well gaining baby who is capable of latching and nursing normally should be exclusively bottle fed if her suggestions over the phone do not work? Assessments for issues like this simply cannot be accurately done over the phone.

You and your baby have worked hard to breastfeed, you have milk, and your baby can nurse. Given that, I cannot believe this is not a solvable issue. But you may need help to figure out why your baby is having so much trouble latching and what to do about it.

Also I am confused if there has ever been a period of exclusive nursing- no supplements, no bottles?

I have spoke with my LC and she has suggested that I continue to breastfeed and try to keep her engaged with movement and laying on my side with her.
    Do these ideas help? What other ideas for positioning and latch have you tried?

Have supplements always been given in a breastfeeding supportive way? Paced bottle feeding, or using alternatives to bottles?

Spitting up, even a lot, is 100 % normal. It does not necessarily mean a baby is overfeeding nor is it a problem. and both breastfed and bottle fed babies spit up.

You might find some of the videos and ideas I suggested to this moms helpful: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...-the-left-side

I really wish I could get away from the shield. Once she had been nothing by mouth while in the NICU after birth she wasn't able to latch. The shield was suggested by the LC that was assisting me while at the hospital. The baby latched and was doing good. (In my opinion what had screwed things up was she was given a pacifer and had gotten use to the hardness to latch to for sucking.) Once we left the hospital I was working with the LC on an outpatient basis trying to get away from the shield. But the baby was having difficulty with staying latched and keeping the milk in her mouth. They had said it was most likely due to weakened muscles from being nothing by mouth while in the NICU. I still try to get away with no using the shield but if I have to use it I'll use it. But I agree that they are more of a hindrance and wish we didn't have to use one.

The problem is little of everything. She wants to nurse for awhile and then gets fussy with delatching and aggressively rooting. If she relatches it doesn't last long maybe a few minutes. Then she won't relatch and will start sucking her hand and crying. At that point I'll supplement with 1-2 oz. This routine goes on pretty much throughout the day BUT especially in the late afternoon and evening when her feedings are in one big cluster. It'll cycle between breast and supplements for hours until she calms down and then there will be one night feeding before she will sleep for most of the night for six hours.

And we had a brief one week of exclusively breastfeeding and the feeding would last for about a hour. Her first week of life was bottle and breast while in the NICU when she could eat. Then we struggled with the latching once at home but was able to breastfeed. And now at the three week she has started with this need to be supplemented.

It had been suggested that I walk with her while feeding, rub her back, cool wash cloth to keep her awake if sleeping and side laying to allow her to stretch. All of which don't seem effective. She did like the walking but it was awkward and the delatching would happen time to time. And I have tried the football hold for nursing which isn't helpful for baby or myself.

Bottle feedings haven't been supportive I'm assuming because it hasn't been suggested until now. My husband and I while feeding bottles have tried to slow her down with frequent burping. She does seem to get overtly excited once she can get the milk in once all worked up. I'll have to look up some bottle techniques and try them out.
    Last edited by @llli*cricket123; June 11th, 2015 at 08:41 PM.

Getting off the shield can be hard, but it can be done. I also had to use a shield early on.
    I found that the key to getting off the shield was improving baby's latch- and some persistence. I found one side came 'easier' than the other. Many moms find that certain feedings can be done "shieldless" but not others at first... I hope the LC has been working with you and baby on improving latch, and there is lots of info linked to that thread I linked above.

I frankly find this idea:
    They had said it was most likely due to weakened muscles from being nothing by mouth while in the NICU
    somewhat questionable. Your baby was sucking on hands etc for many weeks while in the womb. I do not think 2 days of not nursing would weaken muscles so much???
    It does not really matter now, as baby is almost a month and that would no longer be the issue.

Good article on shields: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/