Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby will only eat from the left side

Default Re: Baby will only eat from the left side

progress is progress.
    Exactly. When there are breastfeeding issues, while sometimes there are "eureka" moments, usually improvements are incremental and frustratingly non-consistent...but many moms find if they just keep at it, and try to have patience with themselves and baby, and have good support at home, there comes a day they realize things were a little less hard. Then another that was even less hard.. then another that was almost smooth, then...

When I was having really difficult latch issues with my first, my IBCLC told me "there will come a day this is easy and second nature for both you and baby." I thought she was very nice and helpful, but pretty darn nuts to say such a thing to me when breastfeeding was easily the hardest thing I had ever done (including learning algebra)! But about 2 months later I remembered her words and realized she was exactly right.

Please keep us posted!

I was told that it is often due to the way I'm holding baby. The nurse also mentioned that baby isn't picky after the first few weeks. I'm not sure if this helps in your situation but it was helpful to me. I haven't yet hit the point where it is second nature yet. My first child is almost 3 weeks old.

Baby is doing an awesome job eating from both sides! I'm not sure what brought on the change, maybe I just needed to be more patient with her, maybe I was too engorged for her to latch, but we've more of less been able to alternate feedings now. Yay! It's still not perfect, she definitely prefers the left still but I'm ecstatic about the fact that she'll actually take the right. I haven't had to pump in about two days

So glad for you! Glad you updated too. This may be encouraging for another mom searching here for answers.

Just wanted to give another update, Baby is doing an awesome job still. As I type she's feeding from the right side She had her 2 week appointment today and while I was planning to ask the pediatrician to set me up with the LC just in case, I decided not to after hearing that she's exceeded her birth weight by 4oz- yay! Hopefully things continue going well/improving. I'm definitely a proud mama