Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby waking with Dry Diaper

Default Baby waking with Dry Diaper

My daughter is 3 months and two-weeks old and EBF. We have not had any problems with BF since we passed the rocky first 4 weeks. I have always had a more than adequate supply and she has started to sleep through the night recently. I have noticed for the last three days that she her diaper is pretty dry when she wakes up in the AM. Around mid-night I usually feed DD for the last time and change her diaper. She will sleep until 7am or 8am and wake up very hungry. I will feed her at that time and change her diaper and I have noticed that her diaper feels very dry. I know that disposables hold a lot of moisture so I am sure there is some urine there but shouldn't the diaper be soaked afer 7 or 8 hours? The lining of the diaper feels very dry and it is as light as a feather in the morning. Her second diaper of the day is always wet and she has been pooping twice a day. Her stool is the normal seedy texture and is mustard color and there has been no decrease in the amount. Her fontanel is not sunken in at all and other wise she seems to be normal.

Is anyone else's baby doing this?

I also want to add:

I think I am going to start my first PP period soon because I have been feeling crampy for the last 2 days. Also, she has only been sleeping through the night for a week or so.
    Last edited by Diva_E; December 6th, 2006 at 11:42 AM.

Default Re: Baby waking with Dry Diaper

It's the same exact thing with my DD... Three months, sleeps after a midnight feeding to around 7 or 8 am. Sometimes her diaper is dry too. I always just assumed it was because she is only eating once before not eating for 7 or 8 hours, whereas she would normally eat 4-5 times in that amount of hours.

I would think that as long as the LO is still producing enough wet and dirty diapers in a 24-hour period (2-3 dirty, 5-6 wet for disposable), that all is well.

Thank you! I feel much better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Diva_E View Post
    Thank you! I feel much better now.
    No problem!

This also happened with my DD when she started sleeping through the night. The above post said it all.

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

The same thing happens to us and then an hour later she's soaked! I'm glad we're not the only ones.

I put 4 tablespoons of water in an empty diaper today. It doesn't seem very wet, even with that much water in it.

Us as well... I was going to post something about this today, too! When Kali gets up in the morning, she usually has a dry diaper. After her first feeding, it's soaked through. Then she has another one pretty soon after. Since she has about 6-8 wet ones a day, I'm not too worried about it. I am glad to know that I'm not the only one though!

My lo does the same thing, dry all night, then about an hour after she wakes, it is a flood

happened with us too. i would change dd immediately upon waking and she would be dry.. then about 15 later after her first feed of the day she would be soaked. i think some babies just start holding it til morning like we do. thats why elimination communication is so successful, though i don't have the guts to try.. would get no support from anyone in my life!

my dd was trained during the day at 1.
    ITs realy not that hard to get them to go in the pot if they are holding it.