Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pinched nipples

Default Pinched nipples

I have pinched nipples every time my LO comes off the breast, and now I have blisters forming. Not to mention pain. I went to see a lactation consultant who said that the latch is just fine, as is my milk supply. I am doing things right, but LO is using her tongue and pinching my nipples.

The lactation consultant suggested "oral massage" of her gums and to have her suck my finger to practice pulling it in further, with hopes she will start to pull my nipple in further.

Anyone else have similar problems? Or advice? Its been hard to want to nurse with these issues...

Default Re: Pinched nipples

How old is your baby? In the very beginning, I had pinched nipples and blistered tips as well. It got better as my DD grew bigger. If your LO is very young, she may just need more practice! It's a learning experience... If she is still very small and new, chances are she just needs more experience. I know it hurts now, but things get much easier as you both learn, and develop your BFing relationship.

She is 5 weeks old. Im really hoping the problem will get better. Right now Im not enjoying breastfeeding because of the pain. Plus, my nipples are still so sore because of the pinching, and it even hurts when my shirt grazes the skin. I was hoping at 5 weeks this would be over by now.

Hmm that is still pretty young, but in my personal experience, nipples got "back to normal" at around 4 weeks. Every body is different, including babies! I bet things will get better by 8 weeks. (Hopefully!) Have you tried different nursing positions? You may find one that could help your LO to take more areola in.

the bigger her mouth gets the less it will hurt.

wear a soft nursing bra and pads w/ lanolin to protect your nipples.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

hi there....
    I have the same problem. My lc gave me a nipple shield to help my nipples heal and give some relief. Also my my lo open her mouth wider and take the nipple in correctly. It helped a lot and my toes didn't curl everytime I had to feed her. We are starting to ween off the nipple shield and it's going well. It took about 5 days for my nipples to heal from the soars and blisters. Ask your lc about nipple shields. I had to be shown how to use one, they can be tricky but it is well worth it and the only thing it takes away from your nursing experience is the pain. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

Hi there

Soreness and blisters are a definite indication that she's not latching properly. Has your LC shown you the asymmetric latch technique? Many mothers find this helpful for getting a baby latched more deeply. You can see an example of it here:
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

If you find that this continues, get some more in-person help. It will get easier as baby gets bigger, as some of the PPs said. However, blisters aren't good, and something needs to be corrected.

Hang in there.
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!