Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thyroid possibly affecting supply?

Default Thyroid possibly affecting supply?

My LO is 3 weeks old. She nurses every 2-3 hours and cluster feeds in the evening. She eats good but it is during the cluster feeding that my body seems to not produce milk fast enough and my letdown isnt fast enough for her so she flips out. I slso pump at least twice after her two morning feedings before my 4 yesr old wakes up. I am trying to boost my supply with Go Lacta, mothers milk tea, lots of water and eating enough food. I tried goats rue but it made me feel funny. I am waiting I on my thyroid results so my meds can be adjusted if possible (I've been hypo for 17 years). My midwife is ok with me going on domperidone while my thyroid levels out but I can't find a compounding pharmacy that carries it.

Default Re: Thyroid possibly affecting supply?

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

While thyroid dysfunction can affect milk supply, nothing you report seems out of the ordinary for a 3 week-old baby. Cluster feeding: normal. Nursing every 2-3 hours: normal, many babies nurse far more often than that. Baby sometimes acting fussy/flipping out when nursing: normal, especially for a 3 week old.

How has the baby's weight gain been? If you can give us a complete weight history we may be able to reassure you or spot evidence of a problem.

Born 6lb 15oz
    36 Hours discharge from hospital 6lb 10 oz
    3 day later check in 6 lb 5 oz
    1 week check 6lb 9 oz
    2 week check in 6 lb 12 oz
    3 week check in 6 lb 15 oz

Concern is when she focusses during cluster feeding i will try to express via hand some milk to see if she is getting anything and nothing come out. Not to mention that she is still a sleepy eater and constantly have to keep waking her up.

Okay, that does seem to be slow gain, see http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/. Nhas baby always been weighed nude, using the same scale each time?

I think the most conservative explanation for slow gain is the sleepiness. What have you tried to wake this baby up? Are there any prescription meds in the mix that could explain excessive sleepiness?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Okay, that does seem to be slow gain, see http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/. Nhas baby always been weighed nude, using the same scale each time?

I think the most conservative explanation for slow gain is the sleepiness. What have you tried to wake this baby up? Are there any prescription meds in the mix that could explain excessive sleepiness?
    She has been weighed on the sale scale and same way.

In terms of waking her up, I've done the taking off her clothes, changing her diaper, tickling, burping, etc. No meds that would cause sleepiness. Im only on thyroid meds other than supplements like go lacta and placenta encapsulated pills and mothers milk. All of my kids have been this way. She isnt sleepy all the time. It seems that when she gets just enough milk to satisfy her she falls asleep so I have to wake her up so she gets all of ut and not just the formilk.

Any chance of seeing a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for an in-person assessment of breastfeeding? I'm thinking that the most likely explanation for the slow gain is the sleepiness, and I would be interested to know whether or not the baby is getting enough at each feeding, or just taking enough to take the edge off her hunger before going back to sleep.

Can you wake her to nurse more often during the day? And what is she doing at night- is she sleeping long stretches? Getting a pacifier? Sleeping swaddled?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Any chance of seeing a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for an in-person assessment of breastfeeding? I'm thinking that the most likely explanation for the slow gain is the sleepiness, and I would be interested to know whether or not the baby is getting enough at each feeding, or just taking enough to take the edge off her hunger before going back to sleep.

Can you wake her to nurse more often during the day? And what is she doing at night- is she sleeping long stretches? Getting a pacifier? Sleeping swaddled?
    I will call the LC at the hospital for an appointment. I know 2 weeks ago she was taking almost 2 oz in a 15 minute feeding which the LC said was a good amount. She eats every 2 hours during the day and only goes about 2 1/2 hours at night between feedings.

No pacifier, she eats on demand and likes to be swaddled and I do alot of skin to skin and baby wear and co-sleep.

Over the weekend mt supply really dropped and had to go get formula. I didn't want to but no amount of compressions, massaging, and even my trying to hand express with nothing coming out was giving her milk. Even then, she only took 1/2 oz to an ounce. She has had to be supplemented since Saturday. I dont know what else to do. I literally have cried every time I gave her formula but I can't have her hungry or lose weight either.

Time to get an urgent appointment with the LC! When you go, I suggest renting a scale for home use. That way you can do lots of your own weigh-feed-weigh measurements and find out how much the baby is really getting, on average. Single W-F-W measurements are nice, don't get me wrong, but they can vary a lot based on how hungry or distracted the baby is, when the last time the baby nursed is... In this situation it would be really nice to know the baby's average intake.

Don't feel bad about the formula. Just do check out this link on how to bottlefeed a breastfed baby in a breastfeeding-supportive way: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/