Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you realistically sleep when the baby sleeps?

Default Re: How do you realistically sleep when the baby sleeps?

You bet, it is tough to cope up with the new borns. Esp with their sleeping and drinking habits. I would recommend you to eat something light, which fills your stomach and take enough sleep. You will anyway have time to eat later.

Quote Originally Posted by marie1965 View Post
    I did not sleep every time the baby slept. In the beginning I slept when she slept for two of her naps... but not for all of her sleeping times.... I'd try and sleep for a morning session and an afternoon session. The other times she slept, I would eat, do a bit of housework, take a shower or veg at the computer or TV-- a bit o' Mommy time....

Even now that she's down to two naps a day, I do try and take one with her--usually the morning one--and that helps a lot. Her afternoon nap is my Mommy time.
    Exactly the same thing I did with DD, which I'm trying to do now with DS. I agree with Marie here, that you should at least try and take one nap with the baby. And co-sleeping really helps. You just have to master the side-lying position, and I think instinctively a mother doesn't fling out her arm while asleep so that it hits baby. Do be cautious about pillows, though. Make sure no big fluffy ones are near baby. hope that helps

I will have to disagree with DJ's Mom here...not all newborns only sleep and eat. Some of them cry a lot. Some of them just don't sleep. My daughter slept well for the first 10 days...and since then has not been a very good sleeper. I have learned to go to bed early, because she does do that, so that I can make up for the getting up 2-6 times a night, but during the day she takes between 2 and 3 45-minute naps a day. And that's all she has taken since she was 10 days old...I think Christmas day was the last time she slept 2+ hours during the day.

If you have a baby that sleeps, and I hope you do because the alternative is frustrating, then Shelly's schedule and advice is great. If not, it truly is a struggle! Either way, though, your body truly does adjust.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I would also say that a lot of it depends on the baby-that'll be the barometer for how much sleep you'll need and get.

My advice is this- take atleast one nap during the day when baby is-even if it only lasts 15 minutes, turn the world off, shut your eyes, and lay down. My daughter is still not a good sleeper at 9 months, and if I hadn't done this, I'm not sure I'd have survived, especially since I also have a 6 yr old.

Also- don't try to be "Superwoman" Let the house go-clean what matters only, and the heck with the rest for a while-get paper plates and things that can be served in one dish!!! Since you're due soon, make some casseroles, lasagne, that sort of thing and freeze them in ready to heat dishes-pop them in the oven, and there's dinner.

I wish you all the best!!!

Actually, maybe you heard that statement about newborns form one personal experience? I don't know, everything I've read about newborns say that it is the norm for them to sleep ALOT. Like, 20 hours out of the 24 in a day. I know this was true for my DD and other newborns I've known... Hardly ever opened their eyes for the first 4 weeks. Maybe you mean that they don't sleep for 8 hour stretches without waking up and crying? That is usually true, though all babies are different. Though they do sleep the majority of the time, they wake up frequently for snacks or changes before going back to sleep.

Now, for being a first-time mom, that's another story. Even if she was asleep, which she usually was, I still couldn't get any sleep because I had to check on her all the time!
    Last edited by JustSasha; December 5th, 2006 at 08:52 AM.

I must admit, we didn't believe it when we brought our LO home and people told us to sleep when he sleeps. I tried, but I too, wanted to make sure things were done. Plus I wasn't prepared to let go of my time like reading and playing on the computer. But finally, I was so exhausted that I collapsed on the couch with my DS on top of me, and I learned. Now when I put him down after his late evening feeding, I know it's bedtime for me because I'll get 4 solid hours of sleep before the midnight feeding. And a two hour nap after that before I feed him again and head off to work. If I try to stay up later, I'm a wreck the next day. And I learned that only essentials need to be done - my DH can and WILL handle the rest. LOL

Learning how to read while he nurses has helped, too.

Now my DH and I give the same piece of advice to all the soon-to-be-parents we know or meet - "Sleep now while you still can."

Thanks, ladies. Very helpful
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I don't get much sleep, I'm too ocd to let the housework go. I can't rest until all the dishes are at least in the sink, living room picked up ect. It's a major prob for me. In fact the first week altogether I got about 8 hours of sleep and almost had a nervous breakdown. Got put on meds. Wasn't expecting that.
    Somehow after finding a balance on the 2nd week, i manage just fine on 4-6 hours rest, accumlatively. Seems weird, but my compulsions drive me harder than my common sense.
    Me too Carpentergirl. And my newborn didnt sleep all the time at all - i wish! he has never been a sleeper!

But, it was a major problem fo r me, too. Giving up control and letting someone else do something for me. And, i didnt. And, it was hard. But it has gotten easier.

Ok, now having done this with two very different babies . . .

My first hardly slept from day 1; my mom even commented on how little he slept. I had read babies would sleep like 18 hours a day, but that was NOT true for him. He would nap for 30 minutes, nurse, be awake-alert for a couple hours (!), cry for a couple hours, over and over again. This went on 24/7. It was horrible, and it went on for months, even with us cosleeping, sling-wearing, so forth. It did turn out he had bad acid reflux. He wouldn't let me read or do anything while nursing -- he would actually hit the book away -- so it was very frustrating.

I slept, or at least rested, whenever I got him to sleep (and I went to extremes to get him there) because **I** was worn out! If something HAD to be done or I really WANTED to do something, I set aside 15 minutes right after he went to sleep to get it done and then laid down. He only slept well if I was there with him anyway.

At night, I nursed him, handed him to Daddy for the rest of the night's screamfest, and went to take a shower and go to bed. That was the only way I got a 3-4 hour chunk of sleep.

No, our house was not as clean as it was or as I would have liked it; it was very hard for me to learn to handle that, as I was a neat freak at the time of baby #1's birth. I only did what was necessary, besides looking after the horses, because I was exhausted from dealing with the crabby baby. That went on for several months, until baby #1 could sit up and entertain himself, and then life was wonderful and I could start cleaning and cooking and stuff.

Now, fast foward 28 months. I have a 4 week old baby today. He has been a great sleeper from day one; he nursed for a couple hours right when he was born, latching himself on, and then went to sleep and stayed there for hours before waking up to nurse. He's settled himself into a regular routine of eating, awake time, and sleeping, with virtually no crying. My mom and my midwife both said that this is what babies are really supposed to be like when I asked if something was wrong with him!! I am cosleeping, slingwearing, so forth again. I rested and slept when he slept for the first couple of weeks to give myself some time to recover from birth (although I felt great afterwards), but now when he's sleeping, I am taking chunks of time to do stuff with my toddler and around the house, and I'm planning to return to my very PT work in January and take the baby with me, something I could never have done with my older child. He'll sleep in the swing while I see patients for a few hours. I am trying to get a nap in when the toddler goes down, all three of us in a bed, which sometimes works and sometimes not.

I am running into a little trouble now because the new baby doesn't go down for the night until midnight, Daddy is letting the toddler stay up until whenever so he can't take the baby because he's tied up with the toddler, and I don't get to get a chunk of alone sleeping time like I did with the first baby. Then I get up really early to go feed the horses between AM nursings so DH can go to work. I'm getting tired, and tired mommies are not happy mommies. That's why it is important to rest, even if you aren't sleeping, when you can, especially if you have a high-needs baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by IansMommy View Post
    Ok, now having done this with two very different babies . . .

My first hardly slept from day 1; my mom even commented on how little he slept. I had read babies would sleep like 18 hours a day, but that was NOT true for him. He would nap for 30 minutes, nurse, be awake-alert for a couple hours (!), cry for a couple hours, over and over again. This went on 24/7. It was horrible, and it went on for months, even with us cosleeping, sling-wearing, so forth. It did turn out he had bad acid reflux. He wouldn't let me read or do anything while nursing -- he would actually hit the book away -- so it was very frustrating.

I slept, or at least rested, whenever I got him to sleep (and I went to extremes to get him there) because **I** was worn out! If something HAD to be done or I really WANTED to do something, I set aside 15 minutes right after he went to sleep to get it done and then laid down. He only slept well if I was there with him anyway.

At night, I nursed him, handed him to Daddy for the rest of the night's screamfest, and went to take a shower and go to bed. That was the only way I got a 3-4 hour chunk of sleep.

No, our house was not as clean as it was or as I would have liked it; it was very hard for me to learn to handle that, as I was a neat freak at the time of baby #1's birth. I only did what was necessary, besides looking after the horses, because I was exhausted from dealing with the crabby baby. That went on for several months, until baby #1 could sit up and entertain himself, and then life was wonderful and I could start cleaning and cooking and stuff.
    Susan...I could have written this. Oh, I don't miss those times at all. I got a big smile on my face when you talked about the sitting up...that seems to be when I was able to do dishes again LOL! Those high needs babies...

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes