Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you realistically sleep when the baby sleeps?

Default Re: How do you realistically sleep when the baby sleeps?

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    I got a big smile on my face when you talked about the sitting up...that seems to be when I was able to do dishes again LOL! Those high needs babies...

It was such a milestone that I actually scrapbooked it (another thing I could do once he could sit up! LOL). I took a photo of Ian sitting playing with some toys at 5.5 months, titled the page, "Golden Days" and wrote a bit about what we had been through and then how wonderful it was to have time again to wash dishes and just get stuff done. LOL

At the time, I thought I would NEVER get through it, but the time passes quickly. I'm in shock that Colton was born a MONTH ago -- seems like yesterday -- and that Ian is so darn big and independent now. Where did the babies go????

I think my point there is to just roll with your baby's needs and do your best to meet yours at the same time. Those days, even the worst ones with your newborns, will never come back. Before we know it, those kids are grown.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh Boy, I wonder how you could have managed with so less sleep. I would have fainted

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    I will have to disagree with DJ's Mom here...not all newborns only sleep and eat. Some of them cry a lot. Some of them just don't sleep. My daughter slept well for the first 10 days...and since then has not been a very good sleeper. I have learned to go to bed early, because she does do that, so that I can make up for the getting up 2-6 times a night, but during the day she takes between 2 and 3 45-minute naps a day. And that's all she has taken since she was 10 days old...I think Christmas day was the last time she slept 2+ hours during the day.

If you have a baby that sleeps, and I hope you do because the alternative is frustrating, then Shelly's schedule and advice is great. If not, it truly is a struggle! Either way, though, your body truly does adjust.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusaalka View Post
    Actually, maybe you heard that statement about newborns form one personal experience? I don't know, everything I've read about newborns say that it is the norm for them to sleep ALOT. Like, 20 hours out of the 24 in a day. I know this was true for my DD and other newborns I've known... Hardly ever opened their eyes for the first 4 weeks. Maybe you mean that they don't sleep for 8 hour stretches without waking up and crying? That is usually true, though all babies are different. Though they do sleep the majority of the time, they wake up frequently for snacks or changes before going back to sleep.

Now, for being a first-time mom, that's another story. Even if she was asleep, which she usually was, I still couldn't get any sleep because I had to check on her all the time!

I have to second EPBROWN ---NOT ALL NEWBORNS JUST SLEEP AND EAT!!!!! Congrats to you if you have one of those textbook sleepy newborns. I wanted to BURN every book I owned on babies. My newborn NEVER slept. Or so it seemed. He took 20 min naps around the clock for the first 5-6 wks and no matter how you added it up the cumulative didn't come close to what he was "supposed" to be getting in the way of sleep. And when he wasn't nursing he was screaming his head off despite being held 24/7. If you have a child like this then the "sleep when your baby sleeps" simply won't work unless you're one of those people who can fall asleep in a matter of a minute or two (I'm not). What did save me in those early weeks was to *rest* A LOT. Set up camp in the bedroom or living room and get comfy with all your needs within reach. DH fed me and changed the DVD for me and took DS when I had to pee to take a shower.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Having a sleepy newborn can be difficult as well. This can sometimes make bf difficult in the beginning, especially if they are to sleepy to try to nurse. Then, you're the one waking him up every few hours...and 2 minutes after latching...and in between sides...and struggling to keep lo awake through an entire feeding...

Bottom line: the first few weeks are always delicate and difficult. On top of a major life change, you are recovering from childbirth and your hormones are crazy! BUT...you'll be falling (or maybe are already) in love with this precious new life and forming one of the most intimate and beautiful relationships you'll ever have- well worth any crying or sleeping or anything in between in my book!
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by fezzik812 View Post

Bottom line: the first few weeks are always delicate and difficult. On top of a major life change, you are recovering from childbirth and your hormones are crazy! BUT...you'll be falling (or maybe are already) in love with this precious new life and forming one of the most intimate and beautiful relationships you'll ever have- well worth any crying or sleeping or anything in between in my book!
    Nice way to sum it up Thanks!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I didn't get much sleep the first week either. Or the second for that matter. It took us a while to get into our groove. I agree with everyone on the forum though...you really need to get a few zzz's in whenever and however you can. I think I suffered from a bit of "supermom" complex. I wanted to get out of the hospital as quickly as possible and get into a routine. I didn't do what I should have: stayed home and focused on baby and rest. A week after my baby was born I ended up BACK in the hospital with double mastitis. Maybe it would have happened either way, but looking back now, I wish that I had put in more rest.

Co-sleeping has done wonders for us. It's not for everyone, but when I'm sleeping with my LO, I get restful sleep and lots of it. I go to bed around 10pm, give or take a 1/2 hour. We don't get up until 8 or 9 the next morning. Madeline wakes up several times during the night to feed. Because we are already in the same bed, all I have to do is roll over to switch sides. There is usually a diaper change, but I don't even have to turn on the main light for that. I use either the tv or a dim nightlight.

Most important, do what works for you! Good job on making it this far!