Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you realistically sleep when the baby sleeps?

Default How do you realistically sleep when the baby sleeps?

I want to know how you've done it, since most moms I know say it's close to impossible since newborns hardly sleep and since they are either crying or feeding most of the day.

And if they sleep for a little bit, it's your time to eat.

Your advice would be appreciated...thanks!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: How do you realistically sleep when the baby sleeps?

Honestly, I didn't sleep much for the first week. That wasn't because of him (he was actually a sleepy baby- I think he slept more in the first few months than he does now!). It was because my adreneline was going so much the first day or so and then I was so engrossed with him. It was so hard to believe and trust he was there, ok, breathing (we had difficulties getting preggo). Sometimes it felt like the only reason his heart beat and he breathed was through my sheer will.

And then I calmed down and trusted him. We co-slept, which really helped. I mastered the side lying position, which also really helped. Even if I didn't sleep when he slept, I made it a point to lay there and shut my eyes, or at least just read or watch tv with my feet up so I was RESTING.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

It gets better as baby gets a little older. I sleep when Madeline sleeps due to she falls asleep on me and I just lay down with her on top of me and we both nap. Early on (newborn stage) DH would feed me while she nursed (soooo sweet) and would get me something to drink, etc....

Ummm that's not really a true statements about Newborns AT ALL IMO. ALL newborns do IS EAT and SLEEP. The Problem is if you don't sleep when they sleep than you don't sleep. They are generally nocturnal when they get here. As they are used to being lulled to sleep all day long by your movement and awake when you sleep and are still. When they get here they eat and sleep around the clock. Which means if you don't learn to sleep when they are sleeping than you are awake around the clock. They don't usually stay up for more than two hours at a time when they are newborns...and most of of their quiet alert time comes in the evening. When they are used to you settlling down and relaxing. And often their WHOLE awake time is actually spent eating since they only woke up to do that anyways.
    The problem is that new Mothers think that while their newborns are Napping during the day that they should try to use that time to cook or clean or do laundry or something. Not realizing that their sleep patterns are like that around the clock. It's not like they are going to nap every two hours during the day while you clean and pay the bills and then sleep for 8straight hours like you want to. They sleep and wake up every 2-4hours around the clock and you need to be prepared to do that too. The only way to do that is to sleep when they sleep.
    So for the 1st 6weeks you just have to let it go. The dishes and the laundry. Pay the bills on the weekends when your DH can hold the baby. Put stuff in the freezer to be pulled out and heated up to eat while your alone during the day. Because when your child sleeps you need to sleep. Now I know that you won't intitally. No one ever believes it. Which is why everyone is always sooo exhausted. But you get hit like a freight train the 1st week because you can't NOT get up to feed and deal with your baby in teh middle of the night KWIM? But hopefully by like the 5th day when your husband kisses you goodbye and you've been up since 2am and he's leaving and it's 8:30 and the baby is FINALLY acting like he/she is tired you'll get on board. And it's hard because by then your 5 DAYS BEHIND on sleep and now you only going to get two hours because then the LO will need to eat again. But as soon as you decide that it's more important to be RESTED than it is to do stuff it begins.
    The 1st thing we implemented was a two hour nap for Mommy before my DH would go to bed in anticipation of having to staY up all night. THe 2nd thing I learned is that if I layed down with the baby, the baby would generally stay asleep a little longer. And the 3rd thing I learned (And this took me 4months ) was that if I sidelye nursed him, neither of us really had to get up or wake up all the way. DJ started sleeping through at 5weeks because that's when I stopped changing his diapers in the middle of the night. But he still nurses every 2-4hours all night long. We just co-sleep so I don't have t get up. But I still take at LEAST one nap a day with him. Because my sleep is still broken. But I find that as a mother my chemistry has changed. Now, as long as I get 8hrs ina 24hour period, it doesn't matter how I get it, I can function. Two hours here, Two more there as long as from midnight to midnight the # is 8 we function. Sleep when your baby sleeps. Sleep deprivation on top of the physical trauma of child birth....it's rough. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I did not sleep every time the baby slept. In the beginning I slept when she slept for two of her naps... but not for all of her sleeping times.... I'd try and sleep for a morning session and an afternoon session. The other times she slept, I would eat, do a bit of housework, take a shower or veg at the computer or TV-- a bit o' Mommy time....

Even now that she's down to two naps a day, I do try and take one with her--usually the morning one--and that helps a lot. Her afternoon nap is my Mommy time.

Quote Originally Posted by marie1965 View Post
    I did not sleep every time the baby slept. In the beginning I slept when she slept for two of her naps... but not for all of her sleeping times.... I'd try and sleep for a morning session and an afternoon session. The other times she slept, I would eat, do a bit of housework, take a shower or veg at the computer or TV-- a bit o' Mommy time....

Even now that she's down to two naps a day, I do try and take one with her--usually the morning one--and that helps a lot. Her afternoon nap is my Mommy time.
    AGREED! I never slept for 18hours a day either! I hope that was clear in my novel of a response. But I didn't shower, or do housework either....not for the 1st 8weeks. I fed him, watched tv changed cloths and diapers, peed and ate. I guess I'll admit I did laundry. His. Not mine.

Way too lazy for formula

DJs Mom...sounds like we pretty much had the same schedule...lol. Only I am still on it 4 months later!

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    AGREED! I never slept for 18hours a day either! I hope that was clear in my novel of a response. But I didn't shower, or do housework either....not for the 1st 8weeks. I fed him, watched tv changed cloths and diapers, peed and ate. I guess I'll admit I did laundry. His. Not mine.

And let me clarify that "housework" was NOT the usual standard I used to have... housework during the early weeks meant I got the dishes into the dishwasher and wiped the goop off the counters and ran a load of laundry... I was almost scared to use my own toilets by the end of the first 6 weeks!

After she started doing a 5 hour sleep session at night, and I felt more human, then the dusting and bathroom cleaning commenced. I was NOT a superwoman.

I think DJ's Mom nail it on the head. And still at almost 5 months old I still have trouble trying to catch up. Even though now I don't even nap with her anymore, it is the only time I can get anything done. Or when my DH is home but he is also busy at home right now cutting wood and shoveling snow. I try but don't really get to it..oh well. But when I am really tired I will lay down with her and I find we both sleep a lot longer then anticipated... ..
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I don't get much sleep, I'm too ocd to let the housework go. I can't rest until all the dishes are at least in the sink, living room picked up ect. It's a major prob for me. In fact the first week altogether I got about 8 hours of sleep and almost had a nervous breakdown. Got put on meds. Wasn't expecting that.
    Somehow after finding a balance on the 2nd week, i manage just fine on 4-6 hours rest, accumlatively. Seems weird, but my compulsions drive me harder than my common sense.