Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Support needed - no appetite, feel shaky

Default Support needed - no appetite, feel shaky

I have a 5 day old at home, my first baby. He seems to be doing fine at breastfeeding but I am struggling to eat enough. I don't have an appetite and am nauseous and shaky. I ended up in the er last night severely dehydrated. They gave me fluids and a prescription for Zofran. I still feel drained today and am forcing myself to eat. Choking down some white bread toast now. It is so frustrating because I want to feel good, play with the baby, and just feel like myself, but it's so hard right now. If anyone else has gone through this or has suggestions I would love to hear.

Default Re: Support needed - no appetite, feel shaky

Aside from treating the dehydration and nausea, did anyone suggest why you might be feeling this way? Do they think you have a stomach virus, or do they think this is related to the birth or post partum issues or what??? Are you on any pain meds that might be causing you to feel this way?

Feeling this way a week post partum is not normal. If it is a virus, then it is a temporary illness, it will get better, and there is not much you can do except try to stay hydrated. But if there is something more going on you may need more treatment.

Anyway, here is my experience for what it is worth. I have had three babies, all born via C-sections. Due to the meds given to me during surgery, I would spend the whole day after baby was born throwing up constantly. Once home, due to the surgery, moving was painful, I was stiff, etc, for weeks. Due to the pain meds, I was somewhat out of it as well. Basically ALL I could possibly do was sit on the couch or lay in bed and nurse the baby.

This idea you should be 'playing' with your 5 day old infant, I am not sure where this is coming from. If a mom has the strength to hold her baby, as long as baby is fed & changed somehow, that is all a newborn baby needs. To be held and loved. If mom did NOT have that strength, then someone else can hold baby, and baby would be fine. If mom can also nurse baby, she is absolutely doing everything that any baby needs at this age.

That is all a newborn needs or expects. To be held and loved, fed and changed. That is it.

They said it may be because of my thyroid meds being too high, but not for sure. They decreased the dose by half. I really hope it helps. I had a vaginal delivery with a large blood loss, but am not anemic. Thank you for your words about what is expected now - I feel bad about not being up for tummy time, walks, etc. we also have a bunch of family descending on us for his Bris tomorrow which I am stressed out about becUse I feel like I really need quiet, but also don't want to leave the baby with them to lie down upstairs, because then I feel bad leaving the baby.

5 day old babies don't need tummy time or walks. All they need is to be snuggled up next to mom, who should spend as much of her time resting and recuperating as possible. There is no good reason to leave a 5 day old baby with family while you lie down upstairs- just take the baby with you. If someone complains that you are "hogging" the baby, ignore them, or better yet give them a chore to do, like waking the dog, sweeping the floor, cleaning a toilet, etc.! This is your baby and the most important things you can do for him are to spend time with him and to get breastfeeding off to a good strong start.

You're not doing anything but attending the bris, right? A lot of moms really knock themselves out preparing for the bris, but believe me, this is not the time for you to be cleaning the house or preparing/ordering/obtaining food for guests. Let others do that and focus on yourself and your newborn!

Wow it is really sad what society does to new mothers!

Even an entirely healthy new mom is not going to want to do anything but sit or lie down and hold her own baby. And this is also all baby needs- by nature's brilliant design. At 5 days, 5 weeks, 5 months! Ok some outside time is great when you can do it of course-good for you and baby- but it need not mean you WALK. Have someone put a chair for you outside and SIT with baby there.
    Tummy time? Definitely not in the newborn stage and possibly never needed. If you baby wear and/or are holding baby lots, and hold baby with his tummy to your chest lots, rather than leaving your baby for hours at a time alone in a crib where baby can only be safe on his back, it is pretty unlikely this is ever needed unless there is some issue specific to your baby. I never did tummy time with my kids and they do competitive gymnastics.

If relatives are descending on you, have baby's dad and/or anyone else you can trust with the job run interference and assign everyone jobs so you don't have to do a thing. You have the perfect excuse, you actually are ill and need quiet. And baby needs you. If you are afraid of lying down alone with baby as you fear falling asleep, here is some info on how and when you can do this safely: http://www.llli.org/sweetsleepbook/tearsheets

Just want to put out there that during the first few weeks pp I have very little appetite. And, when I do feel hungry and start to eat, if baby wants to start nursing, I get nauseous feeling and my appetite goes away. I'm pretty much in the making myself eat phase right now too. Lo is 12 days old.