Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Letdowns sluggish...why?

Default Re: Letdowns sluggish...why?

Hi, it doesn't actually sound like you need to worry too much. Are you not able to express milk when you try? I guess I'm puzzled as to the concern about your letdown as well. Whenever I think my daughter is fussing because she's waiting for letdown, I try to express just a little by hand. There's almost always milk there and that helps me cope. And it sometimes helps her calm down as well. Could you try that?

Another thing . . . and ignore me if you like. I know you said tried a therapist and it didn't work out, so you've dealt with your anxiety on your own. And, it sounds like you've done a great job. Sometimes we just need that extra help to get through a tough time . . .so, what if you considered seeing another therapist and laid down the parameters in the first session? The suggestion of a bottle clearly stopped your previous therapy relationship in its tracks so why not say: "my goal is to breastfeed for this amount of time. I am not willing to consider bottles, so please don't suggest that. I need help with anxiety and have other help with breastfeeding. It's my anxiety I need you to help me with." Or something similar. To me it is no different than setting time frames and other parameters within the therapeutic relationship. It's your therapy and you get to control it. A good therapist knows that the client is in control.

Yes I can express shooting streams of milk before and after nursing. So, I guess that is a good sign. I tried some visualizations last time we nursed and it helped some. I am starting to think the decrease in sensation is normal, but there is always that "but" in my mind. I used to have a fairly strong pushing tingling ball of pressure sensation.

The issue with mental health services are the incredibly long wait periods to even see anyone, and the massive case loads these counselors have. I told that practice I was struggling with really bad PPA and they said if there was a cancellation they would call me sooner, and I still ended up waiting an entire month to see someone. The therapist told me she tried to nurse but had to quit do to pain. She said her sister was an LC and would skype with her to help her She said she had to ask her sister 'permission' to quit, in other words, to feel like she had support in quitting. She said with the second child, they FF'ed from the start. She told me that people will judge me if I stop bfing and told me when bf comes up in conversation to change the subject or just say I couldn't bf. I told her I had home births and had aspirations to be an LC myself, so I am not sure why she was telling me all that. She told me if I do become an LC I'll be better at telling a mom when she is ready to quit trying. It was wild. I went there to get help with anxiety, and while I was having extreme anxiety about my ability to nurse and nourish my baby, I needed to get the anxiety manageable, not quit the thing I was having irrational panic about - HELLO, PPD symptoms! Honestly, my IBCLC and other bf moms have been better therapists. I think I'll give my LC a call.

Obviously it was entirely inappropriate for your therapist to bring her personal issues about her breastfeeding experience into your sessions.

Some moms avoid taking medications due to still nursing. But most meds including most of those for anxiety and depression are ok to take when nursing. Just fyi!

I hope your IBCLC can help reassure you, or help you pinpoint and fix if there is a breastfeeding problem. it sounds like you were confident in your milk production just a few weeks ago, and milk production does not just evaporate overnight unless something is happening to make that occur.

I totally agree with Maddieb. That therapist was way off base and sounds like she brought her own anxiety in. I have no idea why she'd say people would judge you if you stopped breastfeeding and all the rest. It seems to me there is judgment either way (FF or BF) and with everything parenting, which is incredibly sad to me, but no need to bring that up unless client does. We have a long way to go with MH treatment in the US! I'm glad you've found your own support network instead.

Thanks All!

I spoke to my LLL leader/IBCLC tonight. She told me that if baby's urine is dark in color, orange or even brownish, that is definitely cause for concern. The slight decrease in output is not so much an issue if the urine is pale in color, and it is pale! I told her we use disposables at night and unbleached cotton diapers in the daytime. She thinks that I should be able to notice dark urine even if it is not a bleached white diaper. I know I will use my bleached prefold stash just for my own nerves. She asked if I give baby other fluids during the day. I give sips of water after meals or if it is particularly hot, but no more than 2 oz a day. She assured me that is perfectly fine and shouldn't affect output in any substantial way. She asked me about night nursing, and I told her baby nurses plenty during the night and has a very full wet diaper in the morning - also a good sign for hydration in a 24 hour period. She also reminded me, decrease letdown sensation is so common with older babies.

What do you all think? She said she is sure I will meet our 12 month goal. I trust her opinion. She is old enough to be my Grandma, so she is not new to the bf game. I feel a little better, at least.

I trust her opinion. It matches what I've read as well, and I think it sounds like you are doing well bfing. I believe you can make it.

In more detail, she also said a mom could realize at 12 months that she is not feeling a letdown at all. I had just assumed if you are going to loose the letdown sensation, it happens when your supply regulates after around 6 weeks or so. In my case, after getting my supply back up, I believe I had a little bit of an over supply and forceful letdown. The forceful letdown lasted until dd was around 5 months, and the oversupply fullness until she was 7/6 months (would also experience heavy leaking at night). So, my body has taken a while to 'regulate'. Unfortunately, the whole time I would go through phases of worrying about my supply.

A day after calling my LLL leader, my supply ramped up with vengeance. I was super full, leaky, and there was milk still available after DD nursed. 2 days ago my supply went back to 'normal': not incredibly firm to the touch, only slight leaking if any, but I am having stronger letdown sensations than last time. I guess I just wont know why my supply does this. I believe my supply was having some issues, or I was having issues relaxing and properly letting down, when I started this thread. Since 7 months, when my oversupply regulated (DD used to feed on one side at a time, now we do both), my supply does seem to have times were it ramps up and then 'calms down'. Is it the domperidone? I moderate a domperidone support group, and tend to hear more about fluctuations from EP'ers. Is it hormonal? The medication suppresses my cycle, but could my body be trying to ovulate and menstruate. hhhmmm. In any case, I am eagerly awaiting her first birthday at the end of next month. Excited for that new chapter.