Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wanting to re-lactate for my 6 month old...Need guidance

Default Wanting to re-lactate for my 6 month old...Need guidance

I am regretting that I stopped nursing my baby and want to relactate. I was having flow issues since I went back to work and my breast milk was going away. Since my flow was getting less and less, my daughter was no longer wanting to nurse. I do not think it helped that she started to prefer the bottle that she was getting while I was at work.

It's been about 3 weeks and my milk has dried up since I stopped attempting to nurse. I am regretting it and would really like to get my flow back. I purchased the Medela SNS system, however my daughter refuses to latch on and just cries when I bring my breast to her. She will occasionally comfort nurse, but will stop after about a minute or so.

I am not sure if I can bring back my flow with just a breast pump? I purchased some Fenugreek, mothers milk tea and lactation drops. I would like to know if anyone has had any success with just using a pump to bring back their milk or if anyone had any suggestions? Thank you so much!

Default Re: Wanting to re-lactate for my 6 month old...Need guidance

It is possible to get your milk back using the pump alone. It's perhaps not quite as easy as when you have an eagerly nursing baby, but definitely possible!

When using a pump ago relactate, here's what you want:
    1. A very good pump. A hospital-grade rental would be ideal.
    2. Correctly sized shields.
    3. Patience, persistence, and determination. Relactation doesn't happen overnight. Think of it as a long term project!
    4. Willingness to pump frequently. 8-12 times a day is best, and more is always better. Some of the pump sessions should take place overnight. If you can't always get 8 sessions in per day, don't think that you must give up. Strive for the ideal, accept that some days you probably won't achieve it. Some pumping is always better than no pumping!

Thank you so much! Should I continue to take Fenugreek and the mothers milk tea? I am not sure if that would help.

Fenugreek and MM tea won't hurt and may help, so I see no reason not to use them (unless you happen to be diabetic, in which case fenugreek is contraindicated).

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all of your help!

I also suggest that it is important baby is fed in a breastfeeding supportive way. If you are doing bottles, here is how to do that: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH4T70OSzGs

And I would suggest keep encouraging baby to nurse, even just for comfort. In fact, when trying to get baby back to the breast, comfort nursing often comes first. more ideas for encouraging baby to nurse: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Have you considered trying a lactation aid? (at the breast supplementer)

I am gathering that you nursed for about 5 months, and only stopped a few weeks ago, which makes you a very good candidate for being able to relactate.

Good book: Making More Milk