Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 month old and constipation

Default 8 month old and constipation

MY 81/2 month old has been on and off solids for the past 3 months--every time we try solids, he seems to be constipated and "not go" for 4-5 days at a time. Recently, I put him back on only pureed carrots and pears and apples and he is now constipated again! I can't think this is normal. My ped says it is. I am fine with exclusively breastfeeding him but he does seem interested and enjoys the food but his constipation I believe is causing him to have a harder time staying asleep at naps and at night--he is a zombie. I need some reassurance that this is normal or some advice on a doctor that I could see other than my ped that may be able to reassure me. Thanks!

Default Re: 8 month old and constipation

Hi there I would take a couple of days and nurse, nurse, nurse, then I would re-enter solids with some fiber like a little bit of prunes, everyday. Good luck!

How much solids is he eating? Does any one food seem to cause this? Is he still nursing the same amount when eating the solids? How often does he nurse? How many wet diapers does he have in 24 hrs?

I do NOT think this is normal. My ds is 10 mo and eats solids about 3 times a day. He has never been constipated.

He is taking in about 1-2 TB at a time, once or twice a day--usually peaches, pears, carrots pureed 9 (#1 Gerber foods)--He has enough wet diapers it seems but I haven't been counting. Grains (oatmeal and barley) seem to cause major problems so I've backed off those. Nursing the same amount, maybe more--I don't think it is normal either but my MD says keep going with the solids. Am wondering if there is some medical condition that he may have. He is also taking in a few ounces of water a day from the sippy cup.

Quote Originally Posted by irishbigsis
    He is taking in about 1-2 TB at a time, once or twice a day--usually peaches, pears, carrots pureed
    Could be the carrots?? AFAIK, peaches and pears combat cpnstipation...I doubt they could cause it?

Very wise to stop the grains; those often cause constpation.

We went through a very similar thing with our son at about age 7-8 months. He was a very regular kind of boy (and is again now) and then NOTHING. For two or three days. Very upsetting for him - and for us knowing he was uncomfortable and straining. First, we very carefully helped him out with a 'manual extraction'. You might want to discuss with your pediatrician before trying this. I have very slender fingers and acess to lots of latex gloves...and lots and lots of aquaphore and lots of patience....helped J get a little cleared out for starters...
    THEN, we went at this with foods. Brittan had a great suggestiong (hi Brittan! ) with the idea of prunes. I make more than 95% of J's food, but this was something we went right out and bought - pureed baby food prunes. Much to our delight, J loved it right away and after a day or two of having prunes at dinner, he was passing waste again with no discomfort. Even though he is self-feeding and eating lots of chunky foods, we STILL keep him on 2-4 ounces of spoon-fed pureed prunes every day and we do NOT have any constipation troubles.
    Increasing fluids - whether it's breastmilk or adding a few ounces of water to his diet between meals - is also really important. Our pediatrician encouraged us to get J started drinking water at around 6-7 months (2oz per day at the start) and now he just loves to have water along with his meals or when we're out and about. It has not discouraged him (at 11.5 months) from wanting breastmilk - it's clear when he wants one or the other, so don't worry about that.
    Bottom line....prunes....water....patience.... and, if you can...relax. Baby will pick up on your tension and stress and heck, we all know that it's way harder to...have stuff...flow....no matter which bio-product we're talking about - when all clenched up with tension and stress!
    good luck!
    jsmom.

I just thought i would add that your baby likely does not have a medical condition just an immature digestive system. Your baby has been used to digesting food only in a liquid form up until this point and it takes a little while for their digestive systems to adjust. I thought I would also add that you may want to try the water but unless your baby is dehydrated this will not help. This was suggested to us too when my son was struggling with constipation and no amount of water helped and in fact I found that more breastmilk was more helpful. We also used prunes and found that then he just had constipated prune poop rather than yam or other foods. I found that the fat from avocado was quite helpful as well as mixing in a little bit of flax seed oil into the food or giving it to him mixed with a bit of organic maple syrup. This got things moving and we only had to give it to him for about two weeks. I gave him 1/2-1tsp per day. I liked the fact that it was healthy at the same time as helping his bowels move more easily. We discovered this only after trying everything else our doctor had prescribed(stool softeners etc.), using suppositories, and manual extraction. We reached a point where every bm was a huge ordeal and nothing else made it any easier. One night I sat on the floor crying as he was crying and told my husband something had to change. The flax seed oil was a real lifesaver.