Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baby 6 days old, need help!

Default Re: Baby 6 days old, need help!

The scale came in.. It read him at 6lbs 14.5 oz.
    So, I guess I start with that weight and go from there. Maybe weigh him at this time every day???
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to dd, Elliotte 5/17/06, ds1, Lane 3/7/08, ds2, Levi 6/16/10, and ds3, Lachlan 5/18/15

Also, he's 10 days old today.
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to dd, Elliotte 5/17/06, ds1, Lane 3/7/08, ds2, Levi 6/16/10, and ds3, Lachlan 5/18/15

Today it flicked between 6.15 1/2 and 7 lbs..

That's great! You should expect the weight to "flick", based on when the baby last peed/pooped/nursed. An oz or two of poop out, and his weight will be lower, a couple of oz of milk in and it will flick higher... Keep your eye on the overall trend, not the many variations.

Agree with mommal- Be very careful about daily weight checks and your expectations. Babies do not normally gain steadily such and such each day.

So here's my question for today... He's not back up to his birthweight and he's two weeks old today. But ive also read that iv fluids (I gad 4 bags in the two hours I was there before my csection) can influence birth weight. He's right at the 6.15 1/2-7lb range. He was born at 7.4.
    I thought taking him in to get checked but his pedi (the only breastfeeding mom-and super supporter of breastfeeding doctor in the group) is out until June 22.
    Since he's doing well with diaper output and isn't fussy or sleeping all the time should I just wait?

Just a little input from little ole me that don't know much, but my LO didn't get back to her birth weight til last week which made her 3 weeks and 3 days!! of course I'm having to go for weekly weight checks also, but I'm right there with you on slow weight gain!!

Thank you! Glad I'm not alone!

I hadn't weighed him morning so I just did and he was 7.2 1/2! So he's gained 5.5 oz in 6 days! I'm happy with that!

That is a good gain from what I've heard!! Good luck!!

Took lo in today to have his cord checked-it looked gooey, but was fine.
    This is the office closest to us. Their scale said 7-7.1... I know scales are all different. They want me to bring him in next Monday-when he's 3 weeks old-to do another weight check. Ugh.. I'm nervous.. He's having great diaper output still, is holding his head up great, he's rarely fussy.... I hope I don't have to start supplementing him.
    I'm still bleeding and passing small clots-would that be affecting my supply? I'm not soaking pads. I change throughout the day because I think they're gross, but I could easily wear only one and it wouldn't have much on it... Ugh.. This slow weight gain is hard...