Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Baby 6 days old, need help!

Default Re: Baby 6 days old, need help!

Quick question. I am staying hydrated but I've had diarrhea since yesterday.. Can I take anything for it?
    Miranda, married to my best friend, Tony 10/19/02.
    Mommy to dd, Elliotte 5/17/06, ds1, Lane 3/7/08, ds2, Levi 6/16/10, and ds3, Lachlan 5/18/15

Well, he only gained an ounce-which is discouraging-but it is a gain... I think I've read that when you have a planned csection and they pump you full of fluids before hand that it can make your baby weigh more. My two that were over due by 5 and 6 days were 6.8 and 7.2. My other planned csection was 10 days early and he was 6.2. This csection was 6 days early and he was 7.4.
    So I don't know if fluids are playing a role or if it's just slow weight gain..

Sorry I did not have an answer for your previous question- how are you feeling now?

As far as gaining an ounce, yes v. good baby is gaining, but whether the gain is slow at this point is still not clear. Yes it us true about the birth weight possibly being inflated and it is considered normal for breastfed babies to lose weight the first few days. But baby was born a week ago and there have been weight checks since then. So whether or not birth weight was inflated does not really matter at this point.

More to the point at age one week, It all depends on WHEN the gain started. You know baby was 6-11 at day 4, and that is the lowest known weight. But, It is possible baby lost more weight after that 4 day check. Or, after loosing up until 4 days, weight plateaued at 6-11 for a day or two before beginning to gain.

Are there plans for more weight checks? How is output? (Poops) ?

His output still seems ok. Yesterday he had 6 ok dirty diapers and plenty of wets. All clear urine.
    I'm still nervous about my supply. This whole not feeling full thing is unnerving. I'm used to milk spraying out when I remove a breast pad.
    After baby had been asleep for half an hour (I was fixing stuff for my other kids in that time) I sat down with a manual pump and pumped 2 oz in 6 minutes. So I guess that seems good. I just really hope he starts gaining. I plan on taking him in Friday to check, but I can't make it up to the scale I weighed him at last time. The scale I'm going to is the one I'll be using most, as it's the closest pediatricians office to my house-10 minutes vs 35...
    I know it won't be as accurate but I can start going there every few days instead of having to wait longer or put him in the car for long periods which he hates....
    Mommy to dd, Elliotte 5/17/06, ds1, Lane 3/7/08, ds2, Levi 6/16/10, and ds3, Lachlan 5/18/15

Output (Poops and what you pumped) indicate there is enough milk and baby is getting it. pumping 2 ounces in 6 minutes is great output no matter how you slice it. In other words, this contradicts the weight gain numbers. And how often is baby nursing? (times in a day)
    Good you are going to start weighing baby on a scale you can more regularly use.

Slow weight gain when baby is getting enough to eat does happen. Sometimes there is an underlying health issue leading to slow gain. Of course it is far to early to even suspect this, I just like to point it out because too often slow gain is blamed on breastfeedng when there may be something else going on.

He nurses a lot. Probably every 45-75 minutes during the day-which is how all my kids have been like. He cluster feeds from about 6:30 -9:00, sleeps for an hour or so, cluster feeds til around midnight and then sleeps and wakes around every two hours to eat until around 9 am.
    I think one thing is, I have never had to take a baby back that soon. In fact, the only reason he was scheduled to be seen was because his dr was going on vacation and won't be back until June 22nd. Usually we just go in for a two week check.

I read in an article that day four is usually the lowest birthweight day for breastfed babies... So I guess it was normal for him to be that low on day 4.

I think my last baby took two weeks to regain birth weight... I can't remember for sure. He was the first baby I didn't try supplementing with in the early weeks. My first two, I was scared to death and had no help so I supplemented, which probably ly attributed to earlier weight gain.

He's only pooped once today but has had two majorly soaking wet diapers...
    I ended up pumping another oz in about 3-4 minutes. He slept for an hour, woke up, nursed for a full letdown and is now conked back out.. I have a hard time, even with compressions, getting to eat while asleep.
    Last edited by @llli*elandlanes.mommy; May 27th, 2015 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Spelling

2 weeks is the very general rule of thumb for regaining birth weight- If all you know is the birth weight and the 2 week weight. Some sources say 2 weeks, some say 10 to 14 days, etc. I have seen breastfed babies who were back at birth weight before one week and those who took 3 weeks and all was fine...of course it depends how much baby lost initially, when weight gain started, etc etc. Basically, if baby is not back to birth weight by 2 weeks, it is a sign something is possibly wrong. But it's a late sign, in my opinion. You have the data (that 4 day weight check) to track weight gain more closely and that is good. Just don't track it so closely you panic. Don't check too often in other words. Every several days is plenty, and once gain seems ok you can go to the more usual weight check schedule.

He's had two more dirty diapers, one about wife the size of an ok diaper, and one at least three times the size.
    Maybe this fella is just different than my others.. He only nurses about 10-15 minutes at the most. I can't keep him on. He'll shut his mouth tight and spit out whatever was in it...
    One of my friends had two babies that gained weight really quickly, but then had a third that was never the chubby baby that we're both used to... Maybe he's like that?

I just ordered a baby scale from amazon. It had really good ratings and I'll be able to use the same scale and do a weigh, then feed and weigh. It should be here tomorrow.

Ok. Be careful to not get freaked out by these kinds of weight checks. One, it is entirely normal for intake to vary session to session, from almost immeasurable to several ounces. 2, they can be hard to do accurately. If baby pees, poops, etc between the checks, that has to be considered when the numbers are taken.
    After 2 weeks, lactation consultants doing a before and after nursing weight check at a consultation are usually happy if there is transfer of 2 ounces or more. But again, seeing a measurement that is lower than that might be fine. I have no idea what the expectation is prior to 2 weeks is, but it is certainly not more than that.

Weighing a baby when he wants to nurse and then again when he is done nursing and wants to fall/stay asleep can be upsetting to baby. Be careful about interrupting feeding normalcy with lots of before and after nursing weight checks. I suggest do enough to reassure yourself baby is transferring milk normally and no more.