Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Slow weight gain, need help!!

Default Re: Slow weight gain, need help!!

Bilirubin is down from where it was!! It was up to 17 then came down to 16.something and now it is 12!! She nurses good I think!! She nurses at least every 2-3 hours! Her weight has been on the same scale at pediatricians office! Nude, and no conversions needed! She generally has a dirty diaper with every feed! Not always a lot but at least a squirt!!

Okay it sounds like you guys are doing better and great the Bilis are so much lower. My best advice at this point would be to see if baby will nurse even more frequently. A minimum of 12 times every 24 hours is what I would suggest aiming for. My other suggestion would be to see a board-certified lactation consultant just to have breast-feeding assessed if that is all possible – to make sure baby is nursing as efficiently as baby should.

Thanx for all your advice!! I believe that on Monday I'm gonna contact the hospitals LCs, I am now beginning to wonder about output on one side!! It never feels full like the other side does at times!! And when my LO nurses from that side, it sometimes seems as though it's not satisfying her!! I'm having a hard time with this for some reason!! Still pushing on!! I think switching to formula would be worse on her tummy, trying to find one that won't cause gas, constipation, reflux, and all the other issues that can come up!! I'm just getting sleep deprived and drained!! Can't go anywhere cuz she wants to pacify on breast!! It seems like if she isn't sleeping, she wants to be attached!! It's getting hard!!

Formula is never better than breastmilk. At best it is an adequate substitute for breastmilk when baby cannot get enough milk from mom. This is a plain fact, proven over hundreds of studies, so if anyone is suggesting that your milk is the problem, please ignore them.

The newborn period is hard! Babies do expect to be 'attached' to mom most of the time. Sleep deprivation is part of it, but another major problem is mom feeling trapped or isolated. I suggest, have friends over and also go anywhere you like, and take baby with you, just as you would if baby was fed another way. Also, get help from whoever can help you. New moms need care and they need to be able to take breaks.

Oh and it is normal for one side to produce more than the other.

Thanx for the info and support!! I have support and help from my husband and others! And the reason I say I don't go anywhere is because she seems to want to nurse all the time!! I'm a believer in nursing in public but I also believe in being covered!! But, when I feel like I can't do anything at home without being attached, I just hate to be in public attached the whole time!!! If I were to try pumping for backup supply, when is the bes time to pump?? Should I wait til baby is a certain age? After a feed? Before a feed? It is also hard to even try to pump because I never know when she will want to nurse!! I'm also afraid I'm starting to fall into the postpartum depression like I usually end up with!!

Just wanted to update, the weight gain has picked up!! 6 oz in a week!!

Yay!!!! So happy for you!
    Hopefully the Drs scale will show my lo growing well too next week!

Great thanks for the update!