Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow weight gain, need help!!

Default Re: Slow weight gain, need help!!

I guess I'm just scared that the tumor meds messed up my milk!! (In whatever way) Like I said, I'm trying to push thru as long as possible!! And in all honesty, I just let her nurse about an hour (I'm sure some was just pacifying) on one side then gave her the other side for about 10-15 mins!! I'm trying to nurse as much as she wants, but it is exhausting!! I tried giving her formula when she was really bad jaundiced and she spit it up!! So I really don't want to quit breastfeeding, it's just draining me it feels like!! I might try to call the hospital LCs tomorrow to see what they suggest or if they would allow a check without having to pay!! I would like to see what she gets from me!! Should I maybe try the BF cookies?? Or something herbal??? I also hear clicking type noises sometimes!!

Are you still on any meds and what are they?
    I think it is a very good idea to get help. Whether the hospital lactation consultant are the best people to go to will simply depend on who they are and how they have been trained and what experience they have. Fortunately some hospitals have a culture that is supportive of breast-feeding but unfortunately some do not and sometimes hospital based lactation consultants are not as experienced or well-trained as others and sometimes their hands are tied because of the anti-breast-feeding culture of the hospital. So I am just saying it might be smart to find out what other resources you may have their locally.

I would not suggest just throwing anything at the problem without knowing what the problem is. With the information you have given us so far we cannot tell whether the problem is low milk production or not. If the problem is not low milk production taking galactagogue to increase your milk production is not going to solve the problem. Plus some moms are not able to take certain herbs especially if they are on certain medications - you would have to do some research.

On the other hand food based galactagogues as in lactation cookie recipes could not possibly hurt.

However based on your comments I still have the feeling that you think your baby should perhaps not be nursing as much as baby is. Probably the most common factor when a baby is not gaining well or when there is low production, is baby is simply not nursing enough. It is normal for baby to nurse for an hour it is normal for baby to nurse a minimum of 12 times in 24 hours. It is normal for baby to comfort nurse this is actually very important. There is no reason to nurse one side at a time unless you are concerned you have overproduction. Of course taking care of a newborn is always challenging and doubly so when we have other children to care for. We've all been there. but that does not change what the baby needs.

Maybe you need more help? Lots of times when it's the second or third baby help dries up. So I would suggest asking friends and family for help. It's just as hard to go through the newborn period the second or third time as the first if not harder. These early weeks are really really intense.
    But here's the thing about breast-feeding. Once you get past these early weeks, and once you solve any issues that are going on, many moms find that breast-feeding becomes very easy. Much easier and more convenient and simple then bottlefeeding. The trick is to get The support you need to make it through those early intense weeks, and to get the help you need to solve any issues.

I am currently not on the tumor meds!! My prolactin levels were staying down in the normal range!! It had been staying elevated for a long time!! I haven't taken meds for almost a year or so before getting pregnant this last time!! I was taking bromocriptinefor all those years!! Of course not while pregnant or breastfeeding! As far as the hospital LCs, they seem to b all for breastfeeding!! Hopefully they will b able to help me! Am I supposed to b letting her pacify herself on the breast??? I guess that would promote supply huh??

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*perannie View Post
    I am currently not on the tumor meds!! My prolactin levels were staying down in the normal range!! It had been staying elevated for a long time!! I haven't taken meds for almost a year or so before getting pregnant this last time!! I was taking bromocriptinefor all those years!! Of course not while pregnant or breastfeeding! As far as the hospital LCs, they seem to b all for breastfeeding!! Hopefully they will b able to help me! Am I supposed to b letting her pacify herself on the breast??? I guess that would promote supply huh??
    If you are not currently on meds no reason to worry the meds are affecting your milk.

Yes, very important to encourage baby to nurse as often and as long as baby will! If baby is not getting enough milk, then the problem is not that you let baby pacify but rather that baby is not getting enough milk. If baby is becoming very inactive/slow/sleepy at the breast but you think she needs more milk, that is the time to switch breasts, try breast compressions, or otherwise encourage baby to rev up again. (talk to baby, stroke baby, gently 'pump' her hand or foot, etc. I used to gently jiggle my sons chin when I wanted him to nurse more vigorously when he was super sleepy and not gaining great.

But if baby has been actively nursing for while, you have been hearing swallows etc, fine to let baby fall to sleep at the breast. Babies can and do nurse in their sleep and even a sleeping baby is getting milk when nursing.

Great the LCs are supportive. Call them asap and please keep us updated.

Since you're not on bromocriptine now, it seems unlikely that the meds did more than do their job, which was to shrink the prolactinoma. But I would want to see the endocrinologist anyway! See the LCs first, though- I have a feeling they will be more useful to you at the current time.

Ok just wanted to touch base with you guys!! I didn't call or do anything yesterday. I got up around 6:30-7:00 yesterday morning throwing up. It was exhausting!! I was weak, and having to take care of my 3 week old was hard!! So didn't get anything accomplished!!

I hope you feel better soon!

Oh ugh I hope you don't get it as bad as I did. Anyway try to stay hydrated nurse your baby as much as you can you may see a dip in production if the illness is bad due to some dehydration but it should rebound quickly hang in there.
    And just in case – don't let anyone tell you that you should not nurse your baby when you're sick this is not true.

Update: at day 17 she was 7lbs 2oz, today at 24 days she is 7lbs 6.6oz! Bilirubin was 12!! I'm thinking my supply did go down a lil due to sickness, but as much as she nurses and sometimes spits up, I would have thought it would have been a better gain!! I thought about pumping and bottle feeding her the breast milk but not really wanting to have to pump!! So much easier to nurse!! I'm lost!!! I have to go for another weight check next week!! I pray it will be better!!

Ok, I understand why you are frustrated But the check shows baby IS gaining, and that is good.

What about those bilirubin levels- are those up or down? Is any treatment being suggested? IS baby showing symptoms of jaundice like overt sleepiness or unwillingness/inability to nurse effectively?

Weight checks- Same scale? Baby naked or in dry diaper? Measurements done with care? Any unit conversions done that may have been done incorrectly? Baby make a giant poop prior to 2nd check etc. can cause measurements to be 'off.' The closer together weight checks are, the more likely they will be somewhat inaccurate due to these kinds of factors. That is not to say don't weight baby weekly if that is what you and doctor want, just be aware that close together weight checks have this problem.

How many times a day is baby pooping and what does it look like? As far as I am aware, spit up is not a foreteller of adequate intake one way or another.

I thought about pumping and bottle feeding her the breast milk but not really wanting to have to pump
    If your baby requires supplements, (Feedings not at the breast) then the first choice (if possible) would be your own expressed milk. But this would be AS WELL as normal nursing frequency, not INSTEAD OF. Same with formula supplements should it be they are needed.

FYI here is a quick simple bilirubin chart. Note comment about slightly higher levels at the bottom. I just found this I have no idea if this is an accurate or a reliable source. http://www.medicalhealthtests.com/ar...r-newborn.html
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; May 28th, 2015 at 01:16 PM.