Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LOST!!!

Unhappy LOST!!!

I am trying to re-lactate after stopping breastfeeding after 6 weeks. I breastfed for 2 weeks then weaned to formula the third week before completely stopping. I feel extremely lost and frustrated, which is why I stopped in the first place. However, I am trying. I rented a pump and have been trying to pump as often as I can. But I have only been able to pump a max of 6 times a day between baby, work, a seven year old, and of course mommy duties. I am seeing an increase in my milk everyday. Although not much. Im on day seven and can't even pump 5 ml in a day. I am also finding that my breast are becoming sore and achy. Do i just need to release milk? is my flange not the right size? (what the person from loving support said may be the problem) I will pump for 10-15 minuted with no success then successfully hand express milk. Is this normal or would that have to do with the flange size? I have small and flatter nipples so I dont really know how a shield is supposed to fit. All the diagrams I see are of women with large nipples. And I also have large lump in my breast. Could this be a plugged duct? How do I know? Lastly, and most discouraging is my son has ZERO interest in the breast. Will he return? He has a lip tie and possible posterior tongue tie so we are trying to get those corrected which it is even affecting his bottle feeding. (and one of the main reasons we quit.) I hope someone can advise me! Thanks in advance. (Im drinking mothers teas and oatmeal to help supply as well.

Default Re: LOST!!!

How old is baby now?

I would suggest that this does indeed sound like a pump issue, and yes, indeed, flange size matters a lot but there are other things to consider. What kind of pump is this and is it new?
    If hand expressing is more effective, by all means hand express! It is not PUMPING that increases milk production. It is milk removal.
    When it comes to increasing milk production, The more frequently you can remove milk from your breasts, the better. This is where being good at hand expression can help a lot. It is way easier to find time to hand express for 5 minutes than to drag out and set up the pump. That said, when they are working correctly, pumps can be really helpful. A mix of pumping with an effective pump and hand expression is probably the best scenario (unless baby will nurse- if baby will nurse, adding that into the mix is the very best.)

As far as getting baby to the breast, I suggest holding baby snuggled to you, skin to skin whenever possible, and, as much as you possibly can, even (or especially) when baby is asleep. This is not about offering the breast when baby is hungry, this is about re-awakening the rooting instinct, so baby will start to seek the breast for comfort, hunger, thirst, or just for something to do! Very simply put, how you do this is have baby close to your breasts as much as possible.

I would also suggest considering trying a lactation aid (at the breast supplementer) for some or all feedings.

Resources I suggest: The book Making More Milk

Help getting baby to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Info on lactation aids can be found here: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-LA

Thank you so much! I am looking into the lactation aid And other resources suggested. I have another question (sorry) I'm taking advantage of this 3 day weekend and hand expressing as much as possible. Now it seems that I'm emptying very quickly. Is this because I'm emptying more often or is it that my milk supply isn't building much? I'm going to start frengreek capsule so maybe these will help?

Is hand expression working better for you than pumping? In other words, does it feel more comfortable, and do you get more milk that way? If so, then the rapid emptying could be because you respond better to hand expression than to the pump. However, it's also possible that hand expression works less well for you than pumping, in which case the rapid emptying might be the result of your supply dropping due to decreased stimulation.

Really, the only way to tell is to give this time- if you continue to see increased output, then hand expression is working for you. If your daily totals are slipping, you should probably go back to the pump.

okay. What seemed to be working was pumping then hand expressing. But will I be able to increase my supply since I'm not able to constantly pump? I put in my other post the most I'm able to do during the week is maybe six sessions a day. Although I can always find time to hand express anywhere. Even at work if I run to the restroom. Its just a little busy during summer. Ooo and to the other post im renting a symphony hospital grade electric pump. And my baby is 2 and a half months.
    Last edited by @llli*mom.2.2.b; May 24th, 2015 at 02:00 PM.

What increases milk production is the frequency of milk removal. That's why I suggested maybe combining pumping and hand expression in order to increase the overall milk removal frequency as it sounds like you were already doing.

When you say you are emptying the breast more quickly – do you mean there is less milk each time you hand express? But what about your overall total for the day? It would make sense if you are able to increase the frequency that milk is removed that you would see a little less each time. So what is important is the overall total.

A symphony is of course considered a very good pump. However even very good pump don't always work for every mom. My first guess would be the flange sizes are off or there is something else wrong with the pump. But if you get the pump totally looked at and get the flanges the right size and you're still having trouble it may be this is just not the pump for you.

I think its actually increasing since I am seeing more every time. I guess I'm just anxious to at least get an ounce a session. It was getting discouraging to pump/hand express all day and when I was exhausted to only see maybe 3 ml in the container so I stopped collecting, but ill probably collect tomorrow and see how much I am getting. I just wish there was a list that I could check to see how much of an increase I should be seeing each time. Realistically I am seeing an increase though since I went from just a drop to many drops and yesterday I began to have milk spray like I used to. I ordered the 21mm flange. And realized I am using the 20mm breastshield (as recomended by the lactation nurse) and that fits me well. I am feeling hopeful that the right size flange will make the difference and my baby actually latched on for a second today Thank you so much for taking the time to respond!! It really encourages me to keep trying!

There are no guidelines for how much increase you should see each time because every woman is so individual and will respond differently based on her response to her pump, the amount of pumping she can do, and a host of other factors. Just keep on keepin' on, and view this as a long term project. Don't let small fluctuations throw you for a loop; you're not a machine and you're not always going to produce the same results day after day.