Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two bottles a day at daycare?

Default Re: Two bottles a day at daycare?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    In that case, you probably want to reduce the size of the bottles you're sending to daycare. A policy of dumping unfinished bottles combined with huge bottles means wasted milk and unrealistic demands on mom to pump, pump, pump.

If this were my baby, I'd start sending a mix of 2-3 oz "feeding" bottles and 1-2 oz "top-off" bottles. That way there's less likelihood of your hard-won milk being sent down the drain. If the daycare complains that feeding your baby is too much work, play your trump card: your baby, your rules.
    Jumping in to say thanks to Mommal, Maddie B & others for the awesome guidance! Mommal, I'm going to send the mix of bottles you suggest when I go back to work in July.
    Katharine in Belgium
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    DD2 Feb 2015 - natural birth VBAC with DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

This was such a super helpful thread. I am starting my freezer stash for work these days, and got Milkies (NAYY) breastmilk freezer trays to freeze one ounce portions and reduce milk wastage, since our gov regs require unused milk to be chucked. Well, even though I was planning to send 2oz bottles for each meal, this nice thing is the tray is reusable rather than Pump 'n' Save bags which are single use only.
    Katharine in Belgium
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    DD2 Feb 2015 - natural birth VBAC with DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

That really sounds like an insane amount of milk for daycare! My baby at that age was sent with a 5 oz and 4 oz bottle. With a jar of puree which he usually didn't take. Sometimes it was just 8 ounces (i sent whatever I could manage to pump the day before). And your baby is also getting meals! So I think you can easily follow what other PP's suggested, about cutting down to several small bottles. Say three 3-oz bottles or so.
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Just wantedo add my 2 cents here since if u've been reading my recent posts u know im mainly bottlefeeding ebm to my baby
    And have noticed some interesting patterns w my babys bottleintake

Some days , but they are luckily the minority, she eats 5 oz and is hungry up to 3 hours later, other days she eats around 4-5 oz max 5 a day with some nursing ( like one or 2 sessions) if i average her daily intake i' d say she doesnt demand more than 25 oz a day and she' s 11 months. I even remember a very small period at about 8 months where she would chugg down 6 ounces and be hungry 3 hours later, blimey i kind of freaked cuz i could never keep up with that but very soon after she went back to smaller meals, she' s an extremel inconsistent eater, maybe that's why im having such probs w nursing her since eating seems to be something she just doesntonget the edge off her hunger and that' s it

6 oz? That's a huge bottle! She's probably used to being over fed from the bottle and so of course it seems like nursing isn't enough. Have you heard of paced bottle feeding? Usually breast fed babies eat 2-3 oz per feeding and they feed often since it digests so quickly. They're not fed like formula babies. Formula is a lot harder to digest so it takes longer.

I use those trays, too! I love them except for the fact that if I want to leave anything over 2 oz, I have to wait for the milk to thaw before I can fit any extra milk sticks through the opening of the bottle. We use Dr. Brown's, so the opening is narrow. I guess it's not really a problem, but it takes a little extra planning on Sundays so I give it enough time to thaw in the fridge, or if I don't get the bottles set up early Sunday, I let them thaw overnight and add to it on Monday morning. Also, I only have to do this for Monday bottles, since I use fresh on other days of the week. Any ideas around it? It's not a big deal, but any extra minutes in the morning are helpful when you're trying to get out the door!