Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two bottles a day at daycare?

Question Two bottles a day at daycare?

My son is 9.5 months old.

At daycare, he has been having three 5 oz. bottles of breastmilk with two meals. The bottles are given close to mealtime.

His caregivers at daycare would like to give him two 7-8 oz. bottles instead. Is that reasonable? OK? Can he or should he eat that much in one go? Will he get hungry between bottles? I'm also concerned about waste because they are required to dispose of any milk in his bottle that he doesn't finish.

Default Re: Two bottles a day at daycare?

That seems like a huge bottle to me. Even 5 oz sounds a lot, although if you can pump enough for 3 each day and he still nurses when you're home he is probably a hungry guy. My LOs only had about 3-4 oz in their bottles generally, and my son barely wants his. I would have them stick with what they're doing for now, and then maybe cut back to two 5 oz bottles closer to a year. Did they say why they want to make this change? Smaller bottles are better -- as he eats more meals, he may waste more milk if he has giant bottles.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

That is neither reasonable nor okay. He should not be eating 7-8 oz at a time, because he is a breastfed baby. Breastfed babies typically eat more like 2-4 oz at a time when at the breast, and they typically eat more frequently than formula-fed babies, around every 1-3 hours. If caregivers are bottle-feeding in a breastfeeding-supportive way,mother should mimic breastfeeding as much as possible, meaning that they should aim to give small, frequent bottles rather than large, infrequent ones.

If this is a US daycare, the caregivers should also be aware that federal guidelines do NOT require that unused breastmilk be discarded. That is the rule for formula, not breastmilk. You have to read the fine print to figure that out!

At 8 months, I only brought two 4oz bottles to daycare. But I had caregivers give baby the bottles between meals (puree), not at meal times. At meal times, I provided them with a sippy cup filled with water.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If this is a US daycare, the caregivers should also be aware that federal guidelines do NOT require that unused breastmilk be discarded. That is the rule for formula, not breastmilk. You have to read the fine print to figure that out!
    Perhaps my state has regulations about it.

Can anyone point me to the federal regulations (or guidelines, whatever they may be)? How would I go about finding the state regulations? I've been curious about it for a while.

I should also mention that my kid is big for his age. 94th percentile for height and 65th for weight. So maybe it's to be expected that he'd eat more than other infants his age.

size is irrelevant to required daily or per meal intake. It has long been established that breastfed babies do not require more milk intake as they age (beyond 4-6 weeks.) (meal size may increase as baby ages, and nurses a bit less frequently, but not THAT much) and in fact required daily intake starts lessening as baby starts regularly eating solids or due to the normal growth slowdown as baby approaches one year of age.

I agree you need clarification of exactly why this change is deemed necessary by the day care. What is best care when bottle feeding a 9 month old is the same as a 9 week old- smallish meals, given frequently, when the child indicates hunger or thirst, with the total amount each meal varying as child seems to desire when the bottles are given carefully using paced feeding positioning and built in pause techniques, to give the child a chance to stop the feeding when sated. Your day care may not be willing or able to feed your child this way, but that does not make their way healthy or more appropriate. Think about it. Bottles are supposed to be as much like breastfeeding as possible, as breastfeeding is the normal way to feed a baby that is being replaced by bottles when necessary. Is it likely your baby gets 7 or 8 ounces every time baby nurses? If your baby were home with you, would he only nurse twice all day?

Also, if your child is eating solids, how much solids overall is your child getting and how much does he nurse when you are together and how long is the separation? 15 ounces of milk daily seems like quite a lot unless the separation is over 10 hours or baby has little opportunity to nurse when with you.

If the fed guidelines say leftover breastmilk does not need to be discarded, I am not sure that trumps state ones. If you cannot find your current state guidelines with an online search, I suggest you ask the day care for the source of their guidelines that has them throwing out your milk.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; May 22nd, 2015 at 10:27 AM.

I verified the regulation in my state: "Discard leftover milk or formula after each feeding and rinse bottles after use." Source: http://dcf.wi.gov/childcare/licensed/pdf/dcf_p_205.pdf

Ok then you might need to find out if fed trumps state, not sure about this. But if it truly is that leftovers need to be discarded, that is further reason to REDUCE the amount in bottles, not increase it! What evidence do they have that your child will suddenly start taking almost twice as much at a time?

I would also suggest contacting your local breastfeeding coalition and ask about any efforts to change those state regulations that do not differentiate between breastmilk and formula as they should. I would also make sure that 'milk' is clearly identified within the regs as specifically human breastmilk. Sometimes "milk" and "formula" is used interchangeably, as in, "formula milk" or they may actually be referring to 'milk' other than expressed human milk. It is the anti-bacterial properties of expressed human milk that make it entirely safe to put leftovers in the fridge for next feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*h26 View Post
    I verified the regulation in my state: "Discard leftover milk or formula after each feeding and rinse bottles after use." Source: http://dcf.wi.gov/childcare/licensed/pdf/dcf_p_205.pdf
    In that case, you probably want to reduce the size of the bottles you're sending to daycare. A policy of dumping unfinished bottles combined with huge bottles means wasted milk and unrealistic demands on mom to pump, pump, pump.

If this were my baby, I'd start sending a mix of 2-3 oz "feeding" bottles and 1-2 oz "top-off" bottles. That way there's less likelihood of your hard-won milk being sent down the drain. If the daycare complains that feeding your baby is too much work, play your trump card: your baby, your rules.