Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lip tie

Default Lip tie

I recently inspected my daughters mouth since someone mentioned she may have a lip tie...is this bad? Could it be why she isnt sucking efficiently?
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

Default Re: Lip tie

Some lactation experts do think lip ties are an issue with poor milk transfer when breastfeeding and require intervention, and some don't, and some think it may be a factor but not a primary one, or is a problem sometimes but not always, even when a tie is visibly present. It is an area that needs much more study. Tongue tie is more widely accepted as a barrier to normal milk intake and nursing comfort for mom, but it is also seen as over-diagnosed and over-treated by some experts. Lip ties and tongue ties often occur together.

I would suggest having your baby assessed by a professional who is able to take the time needed to really assess in person all aspects of your child's ability to nurse normally and your entire nursing history and situation. If you have already done this, perhaps it needs to be done again or by someone else. Proper assessment involves much more than just eyeballing the baby's mouth. Too often, tongue or lip tie is treated with surgery or physical therapies but the nursing problems remain because other issues are missed or not addressed properly.

My daughter has a very similar looking frenulum connection under her upper lip, and while we did have some challenges with a poor latch very early on, we solved those issues with no surgery or therapy- It was never considered, because I only noticed what looked like lip tie to me much later. One of the LCs I saw thought here might be tongue tie but I never followed up as the problems were abating by that point. A similar thing happened with my oldest son but with a possible tongue tie- I only noticed he had what looked to me to be a posterior tie months and months later when breastfeeding was finally going very well. I do not mention this to warn you off surgery or other treatment- I personally think the evidence is very clear that in some tie cases intervention, even surgical intervention, is required for breastfeeding to continue or to be overall 'successful.' I am just saying that only looking at the tie itself is not enough information for a complete assessment.

iirc, your child was ordered supplemented very early on and supplementation with bottles and possibly over supplementation has continued. By far the primary cause of intake-related breastfeeding issues is unnecessary supplementation or over- supplementation, and/or bottle feedings done in a non-breastfeeding supportive way.

Here are a couple good articles on this subject, has many links for more info as well: http://feedthebabyllc.com/tongue-and-lip-tie-2/
    Here is a description of a complete lactation consultation: http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

Not all lip ties are a problem. My son had a tongue tie and still has a lip tie. The ENT cut the tongue tie but said the lip tie didn't look like it was causing any issue (we don't have pain when nursing nor any significant milk supply issues) so she said to leave it.
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    I would suggest having your baby assessed by a professional who is able to take the time needed to really assess in person all aspects of your child's ability to nurse normally and your entire nursing history and situation. If you have already done this, perhaps it needs to be done again or by someone else. Proper assessment involves much more than just eyeballing the baby's mouth. Too often, tongue or lip tie is treated with surgery or physical therapies but the nursing problems remain because other issues are missed or not addressed properly.

Dr. Bobby Ghaheri also has some articles on his website about both tongue- and lip-ties that might be helpful. He's an ENT who specializes in ties and breastfeeding.