Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: am i drying up? help!

Exclamation am i drying up? help!

Okay, my son is 4months I have been solely breastfeeding him from the day he was born. I'm a preschool teacher I pump and leave my milk and son with my sister. This weekI am noticing that I can't pump as much as I could previously. where I could pump almost 5 ounces out of one breast now I can only pump one or two ounces. I plan to nurse for the long haul but I'm worried that I'm drying up. Help! What do I do?

Default Re: am i drying up? help!

Have you dropped nursing or pump sessions? My understanding is that can affect pumping output, although not sure if it affects volume that much. Your supply could be regulating, or it could be a pump issue. What kind of pump do you have, and do you replace the parts frequently? Sometimes pumps need cleaned or checked. This kellymom article could help. http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...ping_decrease/

5 oz is a lot to pump in a single session, especially if you're getting that from just one breast. Many moms find that level of output is unsustainable in the long term, and see their output decrease to a more average 1-3 oz, total. And that's okay! It doesn't mean that you're drying up, just that your supply has adjusted to more closely match your baby's needs when she nurses.

As long as you are nursing on demand when you're with your baby and you're bringing home sufficient milk to fill your child's bottles (this should be in the neighborhood of 1.5 oz per hour of separation), there's no need to worry. But if you find that your pump output has slipped below her bottle needs, you will want to add in pumping sessions during the workday, and perhaps outside the workday as well.

Concern to doctor.