Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding newborn (4 weeks) need help...

Default Breastfeeding newborn (4 weeks) need help...

Hello-
    I'm sorry if this is something that has already been brought up or covered, but I would really like some advise and asking about my exact situation seemed the best route to go.

First, I have a 4 week old son who I began breastfeeding from day one. I had a cesarean delivery due to gestational diabetes. (I am 24, 4'8" 110 lb before pregnancy, gained 30 pounds had an 8lb 1 oz baby.) I had trouble in the beginning due to the surgery, and he lost a good deal of weight (9 oz) within the first week. I started supplementing during week 2 due to paranoia over our pediatrician's concern at his weight loss. He will still latch on without incident, and nurse just fine. But every time he nurses now he becomes very agitated,very gassy and upset and stays up screaming for hours. When he gets upset like this I am unsure as to what to do, and it upsets me.

As far as my understanding diet can play a role in that but I have made changes, one thing at a time to rule out the cause, and nothing seems to help. This is so discouraging to me that I want to give up, but I just can't let go. I see my attempts becoming fewer and further between and pumping has basically taken a back seat.

It has been about 2-3 days since I've attempted any form of breastfeeding, pumping or otherwise, any advise would be helpful.

Thanks-
    Miranda

Default Re: Breastfeeding newborn (4 weeks) need help...

Hi and welcome! My first question would be, what are your goals? Would you like to try to exclusively nurse? What if you can't- baby needs supplements but will nurse- would you want to nurse as much as possible?

After the initial weight loss week one, how well did baby gain? Why did you stop nursing your baby or pumping? What and how is baby being fed? Are you saying you have not removed milk from your breasts in 3 days, in any way? Are you having any discomfort?

Baby weighed 8 lbs 1 ounce at birth, and lost 9 ounces, (or possibly more?) 9 ounce weight loss represents about 7 percent of your child's birth weight, and was thus safely within the 5-10% weight loss that is considered entirely normal weight loss. Of course, it would not have been normal for baby to still be actively losing weight at 7 days of age, so that is why I wonder if baby perhaps lost a bit more than 9 ounces in the first few days and was in fact gaining by 7 days.

Fussyness and gassiness are usually a normal fact of life when one is a newborn. Colic (inconsolable crying for 3 or more hours straight a day) occurs in breastfed and formula fed infants and is only sometimes is an indication of a reaction to moms milk. In fact, many formula feeing moms also change their formula due to thinking that is the problem, when in fact it is not. Moms become convinced it helps, but this is a placebo effect. I think it is often safe to say the same might occur when a breastfeeding mom switches to formula.

It can be really hard and upsetting to deal with a very fussy baby, but fussiness is not usually an indication anything is wrong. Baby getting formula early on also may contribute to gastrointestinal discomfort. Did you stop nursing because baby is not ever gassy or fussy when entirely formula fed?

He will still latch on without incident, and nurse just fine. But every time he nurses now he becomes very agitated,very gassy and upset and stays up screaming for hours. When he gets upset like this I am unsure as to what to do, and it upsets me.
    I am confused. He latches fine, but then immediately starts getting fussy and gassy when the milk starts to flow? Or he nurses normally, and then later gets fussy and gassy? Does he ever nurse to sleep? Do you think perhaps there is not enough milk and baby is crying due to hunger? Is it possible baby cries because baby wishes to nurse more (babies often like to cluster nurse.) When he cries, what do you do?
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; May 11th, 2015 at 07:45 PM.