Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: clawing

Default clawing

My 4 month old has recently "woken up" in terms of reaching for things and generally being more interested in the world. While this is precious when he grabs a toy and squeezes tight, he has been also grabbing my best in his fists and digging in. It hurts so bad even with his nails trimmed short. I don't want to scare him with my reactions but sometimes I can't help myself from snatched his hand off. I don't make a noise or say no or anything but dear god it hurts. Any advice on how to deal or to get him to stop? I know he's young and I know it's not on purpose. It just hurts

Default Re: clawing

My baby will pinch my breast, chest, arms, claw my face, etc if I let her. I either just let her hold my finger through the nursing session (start out that way so I don't have to be pinched/clawed first), and I recently bought a couple nursing necklaces to redirect her hand. They're very simple to make if you know how to sew (I dont).

My baby seems to have sharp nails no matter how often I trim them -- I call them his claws. And he has been digging into me and scratching me for a long time. I do not remember this with my daughter at all. He also will try to dig his fingernails under everyone's thumb cuticle as they carry him around! I've never even heard of that before. I just keep trying to move his hand as soon as I can, or move it before I think he might do it. Sometimes I try to shake his hand in a silly way to distract him. I don't think they'll "get it" that you don't like it, but just protect yourself the best you can.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Being proactive about distracting him seems like the breast course. Those nursing necklaces look beautiful! I think I might get a few haha.

Filmmommy that sounds painful! I've never heard of that either. Maybe it feels cool to him

The nursing necklace idea is good for a lot of babies. But my baby would become way too distracted by it and not nurse. He does that whenever I wear a regular necklace too. I have to remove them before feeding. Try wearing a tshirt or tank and then only pull up whatever side baby is nursing from. In other words, don't expose skin where it's not needed. This works for me. My baby literally drew blood on my skin several times when clawing on my chest.
    Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

My breastfeeding experiences: http://www.breastfeedinghacks.com/

My almost 6 month old does the same exact thing...it hurts! I hadn't heard of the nursing necklaces but I am going to try those. Right now she likes to hold my finger which seems to help.

I've been doing the finger holding and he enjoys that. His bottom hand is hard to keep still but he doesn't get a good grip with that one so it's bearable haha. Looking for a necklace that I like for the long term though