Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: He is doing it again! HELP

Default He is doing it again! HELP

Hi All,

This started happening last week. During our morning feeding session, my son wont suck as effectively as he used to. I thought he is sleepy, he will do it better when hungry and awake, but no, it has been like this since last 7 days. He sucks very slowly, takes a few long pauses (he is not doing anything then, but looking around and playing with the clothes I am wearing). He holds the nipple so lightly, I can pull it out with a little pressure. Our nursing session takes forever because he is getting so little out everytime..

Its not like he is not hungry, if I give him bottle of formula or expressed milk, he will drink some, although less then usual. It was not like that. When he used to nurse, it used to feel good, I could feel the breast getting empty, but not anymore. I have low supply from the start and him not sucking effectively is making it worse. Plus, physically I feel so frustated while nursing him just thinking about how good it used to be..

I wonder what's happening? I have not changed anything, he is healthy. The only thing I can think of is he is less interested in eating and more in playing since now he can crawl, stand up and walk with support. I hope this is just a phase..Wish there is someone in my situation who could help me ...

-sdb

Default Re: He is doing it again! HELP

Hi sdb,

How old is your ds?

Babies can become very distractible and will sometimes be less interested in nursing.

Is it possible for you to go into a darkened room to nurse him?
    Can you eliminate distractions that seem to tear him away from your breast?

Will he nurse when sleeping, say at night? Sometimes babies who are very distractible during the day will nurse a lot at night to make up for not nursin so much during the day.

Hi LLLKate,

Thanks for your reply. He is 8 months old. He nurses a little better while he is sleepy, but not like he used to. I make sure I dont have any distractions while nursing him, but he still seems to take a lot of pauses and after the first letdown, he does not suck to get second letdown. Dont know whats heppening..

-sdb

I am having the same problem with my 7 1/2 month old must be the age. I wanted to bump this up to see of any solutions.