Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fenugreek

Question Fenugreek

Hi,

I started using fenugreek to increase my milk supply. It works well, my milk supply increased after the 3rd day. However, I recently did a search only and found this commend online:
    "Fenugreek - although this has been recommended in the past to increase milk supply, it contains coumarin (which is a BIG no-no when nursing) and nicotine. Both can adversely affect the heart rate and blood pressure in mom and babe!"
    I need your oppinion on this - Should I stop taking it?

Default Re: Fenugreek

I googled fenugreek and coumarin and couldn't find anything saying nursing mothers shouldn't take it. at most it said it was untested. the only warnings I could find about fenugreek were that it can cause hypoglycemia, which is why it's been traditionally used to treat diabetes.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006

I have read that it is unsafe for pregnant women.

I have taken it for a week or two at a time, and it does seem to help increase my supply. I did not notice a decrease after I stopped it.

I just bought fenugreek. I sure hope it doesn't contain nicotine. That doesn't make much sense to me either, because doesn't nicotine reduce milk supply? I always heard that smoking will reduce your milk supply.