Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BLW & Choking

Default BLW & Choking

Hi all - we had our first real scare tonight with BLW. My son was eating blackberries, and he got one down his wind-pipe (he's normally really good about chewing everything - which is adorable when it's something like soup & him with no teeth !). At any rate, I saw he was choking and tried to sweep his mouth, and could just feel the tip of the blackberry with my finger as it passed. So I grabbed him out of the high chair & did the Heimlich, at which point he coughed up & swallowed the blackberry. Thankfully, of course, everything is fine -- he ate some of Dad's fish shortly thereafter, is breathing fine, happy, etc.

So... is choking part of the process (I know gagging and let him work the food around his mouth when that happens, but this was truly choking), or am I neglecting something about introducing solids?

The stats: he just turned 7 months. He's been eating solids for ~1.5 months (meaning he wants to participate when there's food; very little of it is consumed). No allergies or aversions. He's 18 lb (was 7.75 lb at birth), plenty of diapers & nothing funky (aside from having a cold at the moment). He nurses plenty during the night & when I'm home, and dad gives him expressed breast milk when I'm at work.

Thanks in advance for any insights! I know this process is not going to be without some worry, but I don't know if maybe I was letting him be too adventurous with food.

Default Re: BLW & Choking

He was turning blue? That must have bee so scary! Thank goodness he is OK! I think it is very much recommended that anyone who participates in BLS is up to date on infant CPR. I know I took that class before my son was born and most people that I conversed with here had also done that or did it before introducing solids.
    And overall I would say that no, choking isn't really part of the process. I think that a lot people mistake gagging for choking. I am not saying YOU did that, but I have seen that happen a bunch. But also I think I would caution you about berries or anything round in general at that young of an age. I don't think we introduced anything like berries or grapes until the year mark. The only thing like that I gave him before the year point was pinto beans and I waited until about 10 months for that and made sure they were soft enough that they would smush up when picked up. At that age I was very specific about having the French Fry shaped pieces of food. And in terms of width I tried to do the with of a third of a banana Or THINNER. So perhaps think in terms of the width of Mcdonalds Fry's?

Way too lazy for formula

That must have been scary! My DD is 9 months, and we do a mixture of some purees and mostly BLW. She normally does really well with feeding herself, especially with bananas as that was her first food. However , there was one time when she had a cold and congestion, that she gagged repeatedly on her bananas to the point where I had to remove her from her Highchair at least twice so that she could clear her airway - and of course vomit. But ever since the cold and congestion went away, we have not had any more episodes of that.

Choking is definitely not part of the process. I think the issue here was the food you served him. Blackberries are in the size class of foods that you are not supposed to give to a child under 2 if the odds in question are whole- that includes grapes, hot dog pieces, and nuts? They're just the right size to block the windpipe. I think that no-one ever mentions that blackberries need to be cut up because until recently blackberries weren't commonly available at the supermarket, and because they used to be smaller. The new cultivars are mammoth!

Thank you all for the feedback He does fine with raspberries, but the ones we get aren't ever terribly large & I guess the size difference with the blackberries didn't occur to me, but mommal is right - they're huge! I'm sure there's no end to the adventures (a.k.a. hard-learned lessons) of a first time parent lol.