Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pregnant and bfing a newborn

Default Pregnant and bfing a newborn

Hello, this is my first post. I have an 11 week old daughter and just tested positive for a new pregnancy yesterday. The line is light, and I'm hoping its viable, even though we weren't trying, we would be happy to welcome a new baby.
    I am ebf, so pretty surprising that I'm pregnant, especially with fertility issues in the past.
    Any suggestions for things I need to do or watch out for since I want to continue nursing my newborn?

Default Re: Pregnant and bfing a newborn

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the possible pregnancy!

The most important thing to look out for when you're pregnant and nursing a young baby is a decrease in supply. A majority of women who become pregnant while nursing will lose some or even all supply. If this happens to you, you can continue to nurse but will need to supplement with formula until your baby is around a year. Choose a commercial formula; this is the one area in which the processed product is a healthier choice than something you make at home.

The other thing to watch for is negativity from your healthcare providers. A lot of obstetricians and even some midwives will tell you that nursing is contraindicated during pregnancy- that it can harm the fetus or cause preterm labor. This is money hypothetically true for some women, those with a history of miscarriage or preterm labor.

Aside from those two things, just stay healthy and eat enough- you're eating for 3!