Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Won't/ Doesn't know how to take a bottle

Default Baby Won't/ Doesn't know how to take a bottle

Hello!

I have an almost 8 month old daughter who has no interest in taking a bottle of EBM. We have tried every bottle known to man and nothing helps, she just chews on every nipple.

She did take EBM in a bottle until she was 6 weeks old (here and there just when I would run errands). After that, no more. She had tongue and lip tie corrected at 8 weeks.

She nurses beautifully and seems to transfer solids and a puréed foods well in her mouth. She has a strong suck but has no interest in a bottle. I have tried a cup but most of it just dribbles out of her mouth. It's almost as if she knows where the good stuff comes from and won't take it any other way

Default Re: Baby Won't/ Doesn't know how to take a bottle

Not sure why the rest got chopped off...

I've tried leaving her with my husband for the day and she made it 9 hrs before caving and taking an oz from the bottle.

Would just like some suggestions or similar stories. Hoping nothing is "wrong" bc it seems like she has no interest or clue what to do!

I'm not sure how to make her take a bottle, but have you considered alternatives like a cup? http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ative-feeding/ Has a bunch of resources on alternative feeding tools, which you may find helpful. My baby was never able to properly suck on an artificial nipple (bottle or paci) before her ties were revised, and I haven't yet had to try, but I think I would want to do cup feeding as she seems to know what to do there from pretending to drink from my water glass!

Yes, our ped just told us to move along to the cup so now I've bought every sippy cup known to man! She can hold it, but has know idea how to "suck" to get stuff out. I took the plugs out so the milk would just flow and I think most of it comes out her mouth bc it is way too fast.

A sippy cup may be too difficult right now (or too fast a flow to just give directly, as you've discovered!) - you could try some of the tips for cup feeding in the link above - partially fill a cup with no lid, hold baby like you would to give a bottle, tilt the cup JUST until the liquid reaches their mouth (but don't dump milk into mouth), and let them lap/drink it up. I would assume, though I haven't fully read the links nor tried this myself, that this would allow you to pace feed to imitate feeding at the breast, too. The couple of times my baby has actually had water from my glass (usually I don't let it go back that far, but I was curious what she would do), this is the method I've used, and it was successful for her at 5-6 months old.

Hi I just wanted to make sure that there was some reason baby needs to get your milk from something besides you? For example are you back at work or returning soon, or something?

I am asking because sometimes parents are told that baby "weaning" to a bottle or cup or "accepting" this alternative by a certain age is important. In fact this is not needed at all unless there are times you will be separated from baby Long enough that expressed breastmilk is needed for those times. There is usually no particular reason to leave expressed breastmilk if you're only going to be gone a few hours, and if baby is eating solids at this point even slightly longer times away maybe fine it depends on how long and how often you are away from baby.

You mentioned that she chews on the nipple, is she getting any milk that way? When my baby was having these issues she did this to the nipples and we made it fun by putting her in her bouncy seat and playing while feeding. She eventually started drinking more than playing, then 1 week later she was good with the bottle. I will say that when we did this my daughter was only 3 months old, it could be different for an 8 month old...