Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baby never seems satisfied

Default Re: Baby never seems satisfied

So here is the update:

Took baby to an ENT, she did have a middle tongue tie which was released. I definitely hear her swallow more, but definitely not for the full 20 minutes per side.

I'm currently taking domperidine (3 x3 times a day) and More Milk Special Blend. My breasts feel fuller in the mornings and softer after a feeding (besides for sometimes in the afternoon, when I feel emptier overall)

When I try to pump at night (1-2 hours after her last feeding) I get approx. 3/4 - 1oz after 5 minutes from each side. After that it slows down and being tired I never tried pumping for longer.

Baby is having around 5-6 wet diapers and 8 light green mucousy full dirty diapers sometimes they'll have a small streak of blood.

Baby will have 3 or 4 times a day when she'll seem happy and content for tops 20 minutes, otherwise she cries if she's not breastfeeding. She'd sleep through the night if l wouldn't wake to feed her.

She refuses to take a formula bottle, but did take an oz of pumped milk.

She seems a bit gassy at times, loud burps and wind.

She's still not gaining weight well! We weighed her today and she gained 1/2 an oz in the last 2 weeks. Baby is very alert, moves her head to follow moving people/objects, smiles in those few happy moments, and seems well otherwise.

What do I do? Is it likely that it's my supply? Can it be a lactose or other allergy that's keeping her from absorbing the nutrients? Can it be an infection or virus? I'm so lost.

In any of your trips to the LC, has anyone done a weigh-feed-weigh measurement on your baby? In this situation, the first thing you suspect is that the baby is not getting enough to eat. She has/had a tongue tie, and that can impact her ability to transfer milk and stimulate good supply. Doing weigh-feed-weigh measurements would be a good way to figure out if the problem is simply lack of milk volume, or if the volume is okay and something else is going on. I personally think the best way to use weigh-feed-weigh is to rent a professional scale and do several days' worth of measurements, so that you get an accurate assessment of how much your baby takes in on average. (Per feeding intake varies widely, depending on the fullness of the breast, how hungry the baby is, time of day, etc.)

Green and bloody stools may mean nothing, or may mean a lot. Some completely healthy babies have green, mucousy, or bloody stools (my second child was one). They can indicate low intake of milk. They can be caused by formula supplements; formula typically turns stool an olive-green color. They can be caused by bacterial or viral illnesses. They can be caused by allergy or intolerance to something in mom's breastmilk or in formula. The most common allergies/intolerances are to proteins in dairy and soy- and that's what formula is made from. They can be caused by lactose overload, but this is generally only a problem for babies whose moms have milk oversupply.

Please note that it is extremely rare for babies to be lactose intolerant. When they are, it is generally due to severe congenital defects, see http://kellymom.com/health/baby-heal...e-intolerance/

Took baby to dr. He says to feed her no more than 15 min on each side and not more often than every 2-3 hours. I know this goes against all the breastfeeding books/info. So I tried it for the most part of 1 day, shushing, and rocking, and taking her out for walks just to keep her calm. Then came the evening and I was exhausted and she was inconsolable, so I gave it up...

Next day I was able to get my baby weighed before and after 1 feeding- she took 2.2oz of milk... that day she allowed somebody else to bottle feed her around 1.5oz of formula, and then later she took an oz from me and I never saw her so happy and calm and playful. Of course, after that she refused another bottle after the next feeding and just cried until I nursed her for an hour or 2 to put her to sleep..

Today she's refusing bottles and crying until I put her back on my breast and I'm at my wits end.

I'm failing to keep my daughter well fed, failing to keep her happy, failing my doctor.

You are not failing your doctor. Your doctor is failing you by giving you stupid advice. 15 minutes per side, every 2-3 hours is terrible advice- you're both going to be miserable and theorems a good chance that the baby is not going to get enough to eat on that schedule.

Any chance of getting a scale for home use?