Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baby never seems satisfied

Default Re: Baby never seems satisfied

Del
    Last edited by @llli*freddybee; April 23rd, 2015 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*maddieb View Post
    ok. so lowest known weight- at 2 days- was 7 lbs 5 ounces, and baby is now 7 lbs 1 ounce?
    not sure if you misunderstood or if it's a typo- her last weight was 7lbs 10oz

there was no check done at one week? Was baby continued to be monitored for jaundice?
    No check at 1 week and the jaundice wasn't longer an issue at day 3.

So either, something must be up with those weights checks, some serious inaccuracies somewhere (and yes, it does happen) and baby is ok,
    Can there be such a discrepancy between the hospitals and pediatrician's scale?

If baby is not able to nurse efficiently, that would also potentially harm gain even if your production is normal
    I'm pretty sure baby is not nursing efficiently. She wouldn't constantly be rooting, right?

Can there be such a discrepancy between the hospitals and pediatrician's scale?
    Yes. This sort of thing is why there are widely accepted procedures for checking a baby's weight- using lots of different scales or weighing the baby in differing states of dress/undress can make a big difference in apparent weight gain/loss.

I'm pretty sure baby is not nursing efficiently. She wouldn't constantly be rooting, right?
    Not necessarily. Well-fed babies who are nursing efficiently will often go through periods of intense "cluster" feeds, where one nursing session runs into the next.

Next issue!

After a whole day of nursing, my breasts are deflated and quite "mushy" for lack of a more apt description. Now it's hard for baby to latch on- she keeps pushing the areola out and sucking on just the nipple. Any ideas?

not sure if you misunderstood or if it's a typo- her last weight was 7lbs 10oz
    Ok, sorry about that. So baby has not lost weight but gained weight since lowest known weight, and that is good! That gain of 5 ounces in about 2 weeks is still pretty slow, though, so you still probably want to figure out what is going on there.

After a whole day of nursing, my breasts are deflated and quite "mushy" for lack of a more apt description. Now it's hard for baby to latch on- she keeps pushing the areola out and sucking on just the nipple. Any ideas?
    Maybe baby has finally figured out how to efficiently extract milk from the breasts, which would be a good thing. Breasts being more empty more often increases milk production. If baby cannot latch well now, perhaps try shaping the breast for baby? Breast sandwich latch or something on those lines will help firm up the nipple and areola a bit to help baby get a nice mouthful. Here are several ideas for helping baby get a better latch. http://feedthebabyllc.com/latch-and-positioning/

If you are concerned this means your production is low, or lower now, I am not sure. It may signal a problem or not. But I definitely think low milk production is something you want to rule out at least. Can you get back in touch with the LC you saw previously to have breastfeeding reassseed? I think this is important in any case due to the slow gain.

Can you get back in touch with the LC you saw previously to have breastfeeding reassseed? I think this is important in any case due to the slow gain.
    I agree! A good LC can help you a lot. If you don't have a good LC who listens to your concerns and knows what she is talking about, it can be very difficult. You can ask for a weighted feed (to see if baby is taking in milk-but if it seems only a little, remember it's only one feed!) and a thorough consult. One of the ladies on here gave me a link on how one should go when I was trying to figure out my baby's needs. I'll see if I can find that for you. I would stress finding a good LC who will develop a plan with you, and who will be open to changing the plan with you as needed.

Also, my baby did a weird thing as well with my nipple . . she would suck in just the nipple, then adjust her latch herself without me doing much of anything. Not sure yours is doing that at all--sounds like the opposite actually--but a good LC would be able to help.
    Last edited by @llli*dormir41; April 24th, 2015 at 05:20 AM.

Ok, found the link for an LC consult:http://cwgenna.com/lconsult.html

Update:

Went for weight check and baby only gained 6oz in 14 days.

Back at ibclc, she says she wouldn't be that concerned if not for baby's green poop... but she seems mystified. The issue is either a slight tongue tie and high palate or my milk production (less milk ducts due to shape, and breasts width apart). She suggests I try domperidone.

Incidentally, after much googling breast shape definitely impacts breastfeeding capacity. Google tubular breasts or hypoplasic breasts for more info (though mine look fairly normal, if not a bit widely spaced).

Additionally it seems that the puffy, soft areolas might be another symptom of tubular breasts.

I'm confused because I definitely have milk. I'm just not sure how much... pumping doesn't generate much and I really hate it.

My ped. Isn't a believer in tongue ties, so now I'm waiting for an appt. With an ENT which might take 2 weeks....

I'm so exhausted and stressed and scared and disappointed in my body.
    Last edited by @llli*freddybee; April 28th, 2015 at 12:27 AM.

I'm sorry the weight check was so disappointing! But please don't lose hope. You're not alone in what you're experiencing and if other people can make it through, you probably can, too.

My guess is that the IBCLC is mystified because the situation is a bit mystifying. I remember being in similar circumstances and feeling like I was just dying for an explanation for my low supply and my daughter's difficulty with nursing. I would have taken tubular hypoplastic breasts in a second if only so that I could have had a satisfying explanation. (Hypoplastic breasts are very, very rare, BTW. If your breasts look pretty normal, odds are excellent that you do not have them.)

By far the most common explanation for low supply and poor weight gain lies in breastfeeding management, for example baby not nursing enough. It sounds like your baby is nursing enough, but is having difficulty taking in enough milk due to something like a tongue tie or extreme sleepiness. When you're in this situation, I think that the thing to do is to try to boost supply while trying to figure out ways to get the baby to nurse better. So the Domperidone isn't a bad idea. Hopefully it will get your supply up while you work on figuring out this possible tongue tie.

Has baby been evaluated for reflux? And do you have a good, properly fitted pump? I'd like to see you using a hospital grade rental, at this point. Also, how was your birth? Any issues with the delivery of the placenta? Are you currently using an form of hormonal contraception? Do you have any history of health problems like thyroid difpsfunction or PCOS? (Sorry about the questions- I'm just trying to eliminate other possible explanations for low supply.)

I just want to clarify something. Certain breast shapes (and feel) that indicate a lack of breast tissue MAY (not definitely) indicate an issue with milk production. This is in part because this type of breast shape is possibly related to hormonal issues that preexist pregnancy and might also lead to low milk production, and of course the lack of breast tissue itself is a potential problem.
    This does not have anything to do with breast storage capacity, which is different than milk production. Many mothers with small storage capacity make plenty of milk but their babies may need to nurse more often then if the mother had a larger storage capacity.

I wish to clarify this because too many women have been made to feel that they cannot possibly make enough milk due only their breast size or shape. This is only one piece of information that can help a professional come to a recognition of what the problem may be, when there is a problem. For more on the subject regarding breast shape and milk production I suggest The womanly Art of breast-feeding 8 th edition which has a discussion on the subject very clearly illustrated. For more on breast storage capacity look at the blog by Nancy Morhbacher.

For your own research at this point I would strongly suggest the book Making More Milk.