Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: feel like giving up

Default Re: feel like giving up

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*umg View Post
    I feel like I'm drowning and when I see shore again something else comes up and another wave pulls me away.
    This. Exactly this. I have a 4.5 mo, and I feel like breastfeeding has been such an uphill battle since the beginning (bleeding nipples, oversupply, milk blisters, plugged ducts), and I have felt so defeated many times, so I hear you. Big hugs to you mama. You've already breastfed your baby for 4 months, and that is no small feat!

Around her 4 month growth spurt, my baby changed her nursing habits pretty dramatically. Longer nursing sessions, lots of [painful] pulling at the nipple, adjusting her latch to be more shallow, pushing the breast away... I tried different positions, holding her higher, compressions to help increase flow, nothing seemed to make a difference. Now after 2 weeks of battling while breastfeeding, she seems to have reverted to her old self again, and I have no idea what has changed. Sometimes all our babies need is time!

I am testing my frozen milk to see when do they start to get that metallic taste and smell. One from the beginning of April was good, one from January wasn't. Tomorrow I'll defrost one from March and try to find out how long I have before lipase changes the taste. I don't know about scalding because of the additional trouble but also because I read it decreases the nutritional value of breast milk. I still have to think about it though.
    I am not clear why you are so concerned about this issue. Lipase is a naturally occurring enzyme in all milk. It is no way harmful. If your baby readily accepted the milk, I do not know why you feel you need to "do" anything about it...?

As long as milk is not rancid, it is superior to formula...regardless of whether it has lipase, has been scalded, etc.

lots of [painful] pulling at the nipple, adjusting her latch to be more shallow, pushing the breast away...
    This is exactly what my almost 11 month old DD is doing. Yet another challenge...

As I've learned to do over the last few months, I am chalking it up to "babies are weird" and hoping that it will change tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamawin View Post
    I am not clear why you are so concerned about this issue. Lipase is a naturally occurring enzyme in all milk. It is no way harmful. If your baby readily accepted the milk, I do not know why you feel you need to "do" anything about it...?

As long as milk is not rancid, it is superior to formula...regardless of whether it has lipase, has been scalded, etc.
    mamwin, I suggested op do this. (Check some of her frozen milk for lipase odor.) She is trying to figure out whether or not she might want to scald her freshly expressed milk from here on out. Since her first batch that had the odd smell had been frozen over 3 months, I suggested she test a more recent sample to get a better idea if this is going to be a continuing issue or not with milk frozen a shorter time. (It appears, not?) Yes, baby took the lipase odor milk this time, but OP was not sure if she could count on that continueing to be the case, which I suspect is not something anyone can predict. We do know that some babies refuse defrosted milk in these circumstances due to the smell and some don't. I imagine that some baby's refuse some of the time as well.

I would agree, of course, that breastmilk is better than formula even if scalded, in fact, even if pasteurized, as is done by milk banks. The idea this 'decreases' nutritional value is moot, in part because it is still better than any other option, and also because, assuming baby continues to nurse, the milk baby gets part of the day while separated from mom need not have all the properties of fresh, as baby will get that from any fresh milk from the tap baby gets! For that matter, freezing breastmilk is said to hurt nutritional value. Does this mean moms should not freeze their expressed milk in order that baby have it later when needed, or use donated frozen milk? Of course not. In none of these cases is this in anyway a real problem that harms overall nutrition in any significant way. I am afraid I did not even consider that op was concerned that scalding was somehow harmful to the milk. I assumed ops hesitancy about scalding was the extra work of doing so.
    Last edited by @llli*maddieb; April 22nd, 2015 at 01:43 PM.

I am testing it to see how long it lasts in the freezer before it changes, because even if the baby takes it now she might not take it later, as maddieb says. So I would like to know how long I have before newly frozen milk goes "metallic".

Of course breast milk, even scalded, is better than formula, I know that. But if it is going to lose nutrients by scalding it I would rather maybe stop pumping to freeze and instead give her the milk I pump on the same day. I never heard that freezing the milk also decreased its nutritional value, I had no idea.

Hoping the pulling out of the breast is a growth spurt and goes away soon.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*umg View Post
    Of course breast milk, even scalded, is better than formula, I know that. But if it is going to lose nutrients by scalding it I would rather maybe stop pumping to freeze and instead give her the milk I pump on the same day. I never heard that freezing the milk also decreased its nutritional value, I had no idea.
    Scalding does not decrease milk's nutritional value. It deactivates enzymes like lipase, but the nutrition- the balance of fats, proteins, and carbohydrates- remains the same.

For that matter, freezing breastmilk is said to hurt nutritional value.
    my point was, any frozen & stored food item is in some way minutely different than fresh from the tap, and some people will SAY this 'hurts" nutritional value. I am sorry that is sounded like I was saying it DOES do this. My point was, there are those who wish to undermine mother's confidence in their milk, fresh or frozen, because it suits their profit line or belief system, and will say any nonsense they can drum up to achieve this end. I am not up on what all scalding, pasteurizing or freezing breastmilk exactly does or does not do, I just know it is not the concern some make it out to be. So I probably should have not blundered into the subject as I did.

I see, maddie, thanks.

thank you mommal, I read somewhere that it did decrease the nutritional value of the milk but I trust that you guys know more about breast feeding and breast milk than most people.

By the way, in case anyone who reads this threads is interested to know about my experiments with lipase and frozen milk, after testing different bags with different variables I realized that the milk which tastes metallic is the one that I either left out or put in the fridge (or both) before freezing. The milk that was immediately frozen after pumping is good, even if it's older. Thankfully most of my milk has gone directly to the freezer so I'll give the baby, now that she takes it, the metallic tasting milk and hopefully won't have problems with the other ones.

Thank you all for your advice and support.

I'm convinced that a lot of what is said about milk storage is designed to make nursing and pumping seem even harder than it already is! You're not supposed to shake separated milk to recombine it because that will destroy the proteins (untrue). You're not supposed to feed your baby milk that was expressed at an earlier point in the baby's life because milk composition changes too much with time (untrue; composition changes are relatively minor and you can safely feed "newborn" milk to an older baby or vice versa). You have to match your milk to the time of day, feeding "night milk" at night and "daytime milk" during the day or the baby's sleep patterns will be messed up (untrue; it's only something to try if you are having extreme difficulties with your baby reverse cycling, and it's unlikely to make much of a difference because there are too many other variables to control). If your baby has some sort of intolerance, you should under no circumstances use your stored milk (untrue in most cases). And then you're not supposed to store your milk at all because freezing will destroy the nutrition... The list of milk handling no-nos goes on and on, and I don't think it's too surprising that a lot of women feel like they have to give up on pumping or nursing when all they are hearing is how they're doing it wrong and harming their babies. Grr! It just makes me mad! Cut the working, pumping moms a break!
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; April 23rd, 2015 at 06:44 AM.