Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: breast shields

Default Re: breast shields

Hi,
    using a nipple shield was an issue for me. I had inverted nipples so at the clinic they introduced me to the nipple shields at the beginning even if at LaLeche meetings they told us to try without them. My babay was really tiny with a tiny mouth so i took the Medela ones the small size. She latched pretty well but the shields were so small that my brest tissue was sqeezing in them so from the beginning (6th day) i had blood and unbelievable pain on my nipples. My ped and lactation consultant was pressing me to wean off but Lydia could not latch at all the areola. So she told me to use the large medela ones. When i used them the baby learned to open the mouth more wide. After that i had mastitis and my ped told me that with a nipple shield the baby doesn't empty the breat well so i started weaning off the breast shields and one day after 1.5 month Lydia latched well without it. It was so wonderful couse i could feel her and it was so much work sterilizing the nipple shield all the time.
    Now she 4.5 months and she's latching so well. She eats every 3.5 hours she sleeps 6 hoours at night and during the first 3 meals she doesn't take any bottle with EBM after nursing and i'm so happy.

I've been working with DD on not using one, but it doesn't seem to be going well. She will take the real nipple in her mouth, and seems to be sucking, but doesn't transfer milk as well, I don't think. Or, she doesn't like the way it comes out. She shakes her head a bit and squirms. It's just not as peaceful as she looks using the shields. She doesn't cry or anything, but she just doesn't look like she's getting satisfied without the shield.

We have no problem with milk transfer or supply at this point, and I've been using the shields for about 2 months. If I have to use them throughout our breastfeeding experience, I will.

I'm at 3.5 months and still using them. Except... and this is weird... my LO is weaning himself off little by little. He doesn't like the shield at the beginning of the feed now, but as it goes on, he'll pull away and look at me and if I don't move fast enough to get the sheild on, he'll get annoyed.

And I'm not having any problems with milk transfer or supply. Never had mastitis, either. *knock on wood*

I'm with you. If I need to use them the entire time, I will.

I used a nipple shield for about 5 days. It was our salvation! I am so glad that we tried it, because otherwise I probably would have supplemented with formula, and I did not want to do that. By using the shield, we had great weight gain and good diaper output. I worked really quick to get her off of it (per the lactation consultant's advice) but if I needed to use it longer I would have.