Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 week nursing pause with no access to pumped milk

Default 2 week nursing pause with no access to pumped milk

Hi,

Our family-situation right now is allowing my husband and 16 month old daughter to go on multiple camping trips over the next couple of months which will each be about 2 weeks long. I won't be travelling with them, and as they'll be camping, they won't be able to take pumped breastmilk with them. I would like to continue our nursing relationship until she's at least 2, and I want to know how to facilitate this.

Currently our daughter is nursing only twice a day - once when she wakes up and once or twice when she goes to bed. I'd like to hear people's thoughts/ideas/experiences on nursing pauses like this.

- Is it best to go cold turkey? Keep up our normal nursings until they depart and then her and dad will have settled into a new routine?

- Or is it best to reduce the nursing to once a day for a few days before? I'm pretty sure I could skip our morning nursings for 2-3 days before they head out.

- And how much do I need to pump? My plan was to pump roughly the same amount of time while they're away (roughly 30 minutes, once in the morning, once at night).

Thank you for all advice/thoughts/ideas! Everything is appreciated!

Jennifer

Default Re: 2 week nursing pause with no access to pumped milk

I would not suggest changing anything prior to the trip. If you encourage less nursing now, it is less likely your child will continue to nurse after the trips. If you or your husband are concerned that you continuing to nurse now will somehow make it harder to settle your child on the trip, I would suggest you guys rethink bringing such a young child on such long trips away from her mom. This is potentially a pretty stressful scenario, nursing or not.

And how much do I need to pump? My plan was to pump roughly the same amount of time while they're away (roughly 30 minutes, once in the morning, once at night).
    This sounds fine. If you find you are extracting very little milk, add another session for "safety" if you like.

Some toddlers go right back to nursing after long separations, others not so much. If you find your child is refusing to nurse after a trip, I would suggest don't think of it as weaning until proven otherwise. Treat it instead like a nursing strike, and gently encourage nursing. See: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/