Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Buried nose

Default Buried nose

Hello! My daughter (8 weeks) and I have had a tough breastfeeding g relationship since she was born. There were complications with the birth and we were separated while I had to go back in to surgery 12 hours after she was born. That, extreme anemia and her teeny mouth meant that she wasn't getting the milk she needed and I was told to supplement her with formula. It was a slippery slope after that and I ended up stopping feeding her and exclusively pumping for 2 weeks. We're now trying again with feeding (still with top ups) using biological nurturing techniques recommended by the midwife but because she is older it's not as natural for her anymore and she seems to continually bury her nose in to my breast and has to delatch to breathe if I don't make a space for her with my finger. From what I've read it seems that this means the latch is no good, does anyone have any suggestions on how to stop this? Because it's baby - led attachment I'm not sure how much I should interfere?

Sorry for the massive post!

Default Re: Buried nose

Hi mama! You've been through a lot, congratulations on sticking to it this far! Two weeks old is still plenty young to learn good latching.

I am not a latch expert so will let other mamas come in here for advice... But if you are using anything for sucking, such as a pacifier, I know that those are best to stop using if you have latch or low supply issues. Perhaps side-lying nursing will also help for both of you to relax and for you to move her so her nose is clear. I position my baby in a V with her feet on me and her face tilted up.

My DD2 is 7 weeks and she tips her nose into the Boppy to tell me she wants to move closer and have another tipple. This kind of thing happens a lot
    Katharine in Belgium
    Be the change you want to see in the world--Mahatma Gandhi
    DD2 Feb 2015 - natural birth VBAC with DD (2010) & DS (2011 VBAC)
    Ouch! Is it thrush or Raynaud's phenomenon?

Default Re: Buried nose

Hi and welcome!

When nursing leaning back or "Laid back" aka, biological nurturing, you can adjust your position and your baby's position as much as you like in order to facilitate comfortable breastfeeding for you both. I attended a day-long seminar by Dr. Suzanne Colson, the person who's research is the basis of this positioning and nursing style, and read her book on Biological Nurturing, and there is absolutely no 'rule' that it must be entirely or even mostly "baby led." It CAN be, of course, but also, Mom can help baby as much as baby needs.

Also, this is not a position a baby will grow out of, because it is entirely adjustable. I still nurse my almost three year old "laid back."

Nose into breast does not mean a 'bad latch." The only indicators of a "bad latch" is pain when nursing and/or baby being unable to transfer milk well.

Sometimes it looks like the nose is buried when in fact there is plenty of room for air on the sides of the nostril. However, if baby has to rear back to breathe, then it does make sense to help baby get an airway. Also, consider the possibility baby is still figuring out how to take breaths and nurse at the same time.

If you do not want to keep pressing around your baby's nose to open an airway, but want to keep nursing in a laid back manner, then I suggest, try adjusting your position and your baby's position. Or try another position entirely. Play around with it. Again, as long as it is comfortable for you and baby gets milk, any position is a good one for nursing.

There are many videos and pictures online that show moms doing biological nurturing. Here are a sample:

http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html (also demonstrates recognizing/responding to very early cuing, another important part of biological nurturing)

http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...-breastfeeding

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9g...VRtTfDzjv50Oyw (They took Colson's and other research, and call this technique "Natural Breastfeeding")

hth