Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lots of frozen milk

Default Lots of frozen milk

Hi everyone!
    I have been pumping at work for my daughter and then I freeze the milk and defrost some milk from the freezer because I have so much of it. Is that right? Or should I be using the fresh stuff first? I figure by rotating the milk and using the older stuff first, it'll ensure that none of it goes to waste.... But I actually have like 30 bags of milk in the freezer.. so if anyone has any suggestions on how to organize it, I would greatly appreciate it! I'm just not sure if I should defrost the frozen milk or use the fresh stuff first....or does it even matter? Oh dear....now I'm confused

Default Re: Lots of frozen milk

Check out this link for information on storing breastmilk:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

It is my understanding that fresh milk is preferable to frozen, so I pump at work during the day and fix my daughter's bottles for the next day with the milk I pump at work that day. If I have extra, I freeze it. Then about once a month or so, I will go through what I have in the freezer and take out a few bags at a time of milk that is 2 months old and give her some of that, so for example if she is getting three bottles while I'm at work, two would be of fresh milk and one would be frozen... and then I freeze the extra I pump that day. Does this make sense? You can store it for 3 to 4 months, but I try to go in once a month and take out any older than 2 months just to be safe.

As far as organization goes, I use the gerber zip-lock storage bags and they are just the right lenght to fit sideways in the "disposable" gladware plastic containers. I organize it by date, with the older milk at the front. I'd be interested to hear what others are doing too... always looking for new/better ideas!

Hope this helps!

Hi there! It's definitely best to feed baby the freshest milk possible. Most moms use that frozen milk as the emergency backup milk, or use frozen on Monday (depends on your refrigerator, but some moms find that their friday milk is best kept in the freezer vs. fridge over the weekend. I know at my house with the amount of time my fridge spends being open during the weekend between DS, DD, and DH, oh my! milk would be sour if I were storing any pumped right now! LOL)

One primary reason to feed fresh milk is that your body is making milk that is right for your baby TODAY - based on what germs he/she has been exposed to, what you might have been exposed to, and his/her developmental needs. While frozen breastmilk is still a fantastic source of nutrition for your growing child, the freshest milk is the most customized to his/her needs. Does that make sense?

For me, the main way I organized freezer storage was to store each bag of milk flat (on a box of popsicles, LOL) The milk would then become a little "shingle" which was really easy to stack. I'd freeze 5-10 that way, then bag them together with a date range on the front (the dates the milk was pumped). When I'd need to dip into my freezer supply, I'd pull the oldest out first. Remember that milk in a deep chest freezer (one that doesn't go through many temperature changes and stores food close to 0) will last the longest - it's not unusual to get 6 months of storage out of milk in a deep freeze. If you do have a lot of excess and plan to use it later (it's a great mixer for solids), it may be worthwhile to look into a chest-style freezer. I have seen them on clearance in my area for $150 + a bunch of coupons for frozen food from the grocery!

I hope these ideas help. Let us know how it goes!

Warmly,
    Karen Smith
    LLL Leader, IL

Thanks everyone for the advice! My freezer is almost completely full of milk and I'll definitely use it to mix with solids. Is there anything other than cereal I can mix it with? Is there any other use for stored BM if my daughter doesn't drink it?

Sure! You can mix your milk with any number of foods to thin them out.

Other ideas:
    Butter (Yes, really!)
    Yogurt
    momcicles (breastmilk popcicles)
    smoothies
    ice cream
    cottage cheese
    bread starter
    Soap!

You can find these recipes (and more, I'm sure) with Google.

One quick thought to keep in mind if your daughter is reluctant to drink frozen/thawed EBM at first... try gradually getting her used to it by mixing with your fresh/never-been-frozen milk. We did this with DS...started with 70% fresh, 30% frozen and gradually got down to where he contentedly drinks 100% thawed sometimes. We found that on Mondays, we sometimes had to 'revert' a bit to mixing frozen with fresh since over the weekends he would get used to 100% fresh-from-the-mommy since I would nurse all weekend and he never had to see a bottle! Also, as his diet of solids has expanded, he tolerates 100% thawed better than he used to. I think he is just used to a bigger variety of flavors in his mouth, so smallish fluctuations in flavor of milk (which happen with frozen vs fresh, I find) doesn't matter so much to him!
    good luck!
    jsmom

Ok...this is going to sound silly I'm sure But do you mean mix my BM with those foods for Autumn or for me? Personally, I wouldn't find that gross or anything....I'm just curious. Thanks!