Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: baby nursing every thirty min!!!

Default baby nursing every thirty min!!!

Hi there. Rosey here. Gave birth nov 18 to beautiful baby boy Lucas. I successfully b/fed my DS for two years, but since its been so long I can't seem to remember how it goes. Lucas is two weeks old and seems to Bfeed every thirty minutes, sometimes if I'm lucky almost every hour! An hour and thirty to two hours is the longest he'll go without feeding.

Don't want to feel tied down but are things going to ease up or will he be like this for a year? Advice and help is much needed. Thanks!

PS I've got a lot of milk, let down is good, but sometimes he is also fussy at the breast. Totally unlike his sister who was such a sweet and docile nurser.

Needs help,
    ROSEY

Default Re: baby nursing every thirty min!!!

Both the fussiness and the constant nursing at this age are completely normal. It's the same thing that led me to this site 4 or 5 months ago. It will get better, but for now, set up camp with some snacks, water, things to do with your DD(game, books, coloring pages), a book, magazine, phone, remote and don't worry about the housework.

Hi!! Completely Normal! i think most babies do that for the first few weeks, well our did anyways. It gets easier though.
    I wish I would have taken some of the ladies advice here more to heart, I'd do anything now where all I had to do was lay around on the couch and nurse my DD.
    enjoy it, set up a nursing island and relax!! everything else can wait.

Lindy
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Sounds like a growth spurt to me, too! Hang in there!

Lisa

Yep, totally normal. Our little one was like that too in the early weeks. The previous posters gave great advice. Here are some good links for more reassurance/advice:

And so I nursed him every 45 minutes!

Frequent Nursing

Growth Spurts

Growth Spurts 2

Hang in there! You are doing a wonderful job, mama!
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; December 4th, 2006 at 09:31 AM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

My ds started in with that nurse every second stuff at 2 1/2 weeks. Then he promptly out grew all his cute outfits. I would totally agree that it sounds like a growth spurt- my boy only did that for about 5 days. OK, the lack of sleep is super hard but its not forever.
    Have you entertained the idea of co-sleeping? It helped me cram in some hours and some half hours of sleep...

Hi there moms. Thanks for the valuable advice, again, today he is latched on every thirty min, and DD is such a sweet little "Ate" (big sister in Filipino) being nice and helpful. About the thing on co-sleeping, his crib is in our room, but since DD's bed is right next to ours - I'm not sure if having DS in the bed with me is such a good idea, DD might roll over him or something!!!

I am typing away at the keyboard silently now...don't want to wake him up for another feeding (the last one was just five min ago....)

Another thing, am I offering the breast a bit too much? But it seems like that's the only thing that will soothe him.

ROSEY

I understand your fears, can you get a futon on the floor, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I understand your fears, can you get a futon on the floor, or something?
    It is a valid fear, DD likes to roll around the bed asleep. Seriously considering the futon, but for now, barricading DD with pillows, sleeping in between DD and DS. : )

Every once and a while i sleep in bed with my dh, but it is a light sleep. I worry that he will roll onto baby. So at week one, I moved onto the couch ( they say thats a bad idea too) It is dangerious to have baby between yourself and couch backboard. I mostly have ds in his bouncer next to me on the floor, that way I can reach him without having to get up. Sometimes I latch him on, and tuck the blankeys in a way he can't roll off the couch (him on outside of couch) and ( while lying down) I let myself lean back on the couch backboard. It feels less complicated than barracading myself with pillows on the family bed that can get in ds's mouth, lots of blankeys and angry cats ect ect.
    So I bought a foam futon, I have flopped it down on the floor and mastered co-sleeping, and now i get some inturrupted, but far more rellaxing rest. two and a half hours now! It gets better!! The couch saved my life!
    So is it still every 30 minuts? hows everything now?