Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lip Tie in almost 1 Year Old?!?!? Please help.

Default Lip Tie in almost 1 Year Old?!?!? Please help.

x
    Last edited by @llli*thawingsnow; December 7th, 2017 at 01:37 PM.

Default Re: Lip Tie in almost 1 Year Old?!?!? Please help.

x
    Last edited by @llli*thawingsnow; December 7th, 2017 at 01:38 PM.

Default Re: Lip Tie in almost 1 Year Old?!?!? Please help.

Whew, that was a long post!

Okay, here's what I'm thinking:
    1. Back off on the tie "diagnosis". Props to you and your DH, but you're probably not experts in normal mouth anatomy, nor have you seen a zillion different lip frenums. Before you decide that a tie is 100% what is going on, take your baby to see a pediatric otolaryngologist and a dentist. They should have the requisite knowledge to make an actual diagnosis. Please note that I don't doubt your conclusion- but before you let this make you sad and emotional and freaked out about potential sequelae from a tie revision, you need confirmation.
    2. If your baby has gained weight normally throughout her first year, there is no reason to be concerned about the tie hurting her ability to gain weight at this point. Ties tend to be problematic mostly during the early weeks/months, because that is when they are most likely to hurt a baby's ability to latch and transfer milk. Once a baby grows, her bigger mouth is likely to compensate for any deficits in latching ability related to a tie. This is why many pediatricians and dentists recommend that moms simply wait out lip and tongue ties- which is a controversial recommendation considering that ties can cause a lot of pain and other problematic symptoms even when they don't affect a bays ability to gain weight.
    3. Please note that some of the things ascribed to ties- clicking, gassiness, and poor weight gain- are merely things that can be mistaken for ties, and here I am thinking of allergies. Ties do not cause allergies, nor are babies with ties more likely to be allergic.
    4. It is 100% normal for a baby's rate of weight gain to decrease over time, with many babies actually dropping percentiles after around 3-6 months. You only need to be concerned about weight gain when a baby is dropping percentiles giving you clear signs of not getting enough to eat. (This would be something like a baby who isn't growing in height or head circumference, and who seems constantly hungry, unhappy, and unhealthy.)
    5. Before you start worrying about consequences from a tie revision, you need to make sure there is actually a tie present (see point #1.) That being said, negative consequences from a tie revision are: pain from procedure which can lead to decreased nursing, nursing strikes, and food strikes; infection; impact on tooth placement (sometimes positive, sometimes negative).
    6. Lip and tongue ties OFTEN self-correct, as your husband's may have. Either the tie stretches out naturally with time, or the child breaks the tie in some childhood accident.

My experience with ties comes from my older daughter, who has a lip tie at went undiagnosed throughout early infancy despite the fact that she caused me severe nipple trauma, multiple plugged ducts, and was unable to nurse well enough to maintain supply for the first 3 months or so. Nevertheless, she eventually got better at nursing, stopped causing me trauma, and we nursed happily until she was 3 years old. No-one picked up on the tie until her permanent incisors started to come in at age 7. The dentist observed the gap between them and said "Yup, look at that, she has a lip tie. If it continues to cause issues with tooth spacing, we'll zap it with a laser. See you in 6 months!" She is now 9 years old and the tie has not caused any problems with spacing; as her other permanent teeth cqme in, the gap between her incisors vanished.