Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this normal

Default Is this normal

Hello everyone,

It seems like everytime I think we have this breast feeding thing figured out my LO throw me for a loop. I have over supply and over active letdown. Because of this my LO has foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I started block feeding and it help with over supply and fast let down. However today she was very fussy. I thought it might have been gas so I did infant massage as well as burped her. Then she still would fussy. She would calm down immediately when I nurse her. She would actively nurse then slowly doze off and her sucking get softer and it would stop and start. But every so often she would get another let down and she would start swallowing. Her latch would become shallow and I would try to unlatch her. She would startled and try to find the breast. If she can't find it she would start screaming. I tried pacifier, my knucle, finger even her hand and she won't take anything but the breast. This would go on for an hour plus. My nipple is getting very sore cuz of the shallow latch. Anyone else experienced this? I know when she is gassy she wants to comfort nurse but today i couldn't get her to really burp or let out any gas. I got a few good one out but she still want to comfort nurse. Do you think it's because she is still hungry? My breast feel emptier but when I gave it a gentle squeez milk still come out (LC said that mean you still have plenty of milk in there) I tried to switch side and same thing happen. Active nursing then turn into comfort nurse(5-6 light sucks then a pause).

Default Re: Is this normal

Hi

As a general thing, I'm not aware that it is in any way abnormal for babies to comfort nurse, even for several hours. Can you provide more information, though? How old is your baby? Is she eating well / making plenty of diapers, gaining ok, etc? Has an LC told you that you have OS/OALD or is it self-diagnosed (not that it has to be professionally diagnosed, but there's a lot of completely normal variation in the early weeks). I'm sure this information will help lead to more directed advice. Thanks.

Good questions from dandelions. In general, block feeding "works," in the sense that it will decrease supply. So there are a couple possible things going on: first, perhaps baby was avoiding comfort nursing previously because of the fast flow. Or, baby was getting enough with relatively short/infrequent nursing because of the oversupply, and now baby is nursing in the typical way a young baby nurses, ie, all the time! It is perfectly normal for babies to nurse all the time and to want to nurse for both comfort and nutrition. A baby is 100% dependent on her parent, she instinctively knows this, and she knows when she is nursing that she is next to her mother and will be taken care of. There is no harm to nursing very frequently and there is no harm in comfort nursing. In fact, pacifiers introduced early on can be harmful to breastfeeding if they lead mother to nurse with a lower frequency. Here's some information on normal newborn nursing: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

In general, there are a couple ways to deal with fast flow and oversupply without block feeding. One is to use a laid-back nursing position, see the links below and adjust as needed until you are comfortable. Also baby will become more adept at dealing with fast flow as she gets older, and supply will regulate to more closely match baby's demand.
    https://www.llli.org/docs/0000000000...astfeeding.pdf
    http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...stfeeding.html

This talks about block feeding:
    http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...dos-donts.html

I think the main thing that is concerning is not your baby's behavior, which sounds normal, but the shallow latch and soreness. Are you able to get help from a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC? A good latch is very important.

ETA: One other thing, don't worry about foremilk/hindmilk. All milk is good milk. In fact, frequent nursing helps with this when you have oversupply.

Sorry I should have provides background information. My LO is 7 weeks old. We been seeing LC since birth at the hospital and continued till now. She is eating very well. Measuring pre and post weight after feeding: she ate roughly 3oz. She gaining a lot of weights 22oz in two weeks. LC told me I have over active let down because of the gulping and clicking noise when observing her feed. But said she handle the flow well and when she does choke she recovered very fast. Oversupply because I am able to pumped 3oz within 3mins and the 3oz was mostly foremilk. LC also told me she probably have hindmilk/foremilk imbalance due to all the symptoms and put me on block feeding. I was doing 3 feeding per side. Now reduced to 2 feeding preside. Which helped. LO is much happier. Feed every 2-3hrs. Less gassy and no more waking up screaming from pain.
    Then...today happen
    I'm worry about comfort nursing because LC warn that will send my milk supply into over drive. I mainly just want to make sure it is comfort feed and not me deprive her of food.

I think you need to trust your baby to know what she needs. She's not interested in your finger or a pacifier, she just wants the breast. Comfort nursing is unlikely to put supply into overdrive, or if it does, then you can go back to block feeding and make the oversupply back off again.

Yeah, I agree. If baby wants to nurse she's telling you she wants to nurse. Since you're at 7 weeks now the oversupply might have started to subside anyway as your supply regulates, so you may no longer need the block feeding. And as mommal says, if you do need it, you can always go back to it. I'd worry more about overdoing the block feeding and losing supply than having a bit too much.

I agree, you can probably stop the block feeding at this point, especially if you are feeling that maybe baby is still hungry. Constant nursing and lots of extra comfort nursing are also ways for baby to help regulate your supply. If you supply maybe dipped too much then the extra nursing will help correct that.

Nurse whenever you or baby seems to feel it's time. As your supply regulates down to a more normal level, it is possible baby will want to nurse more frequently than 2-3 hours. I know of babies that during the newborn period nursed almost constantly and then about hourly for the rest of their first year (mine was like that but my storage capacity is small.)